Mum's in love...a light moment on the dementia journey

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
For any of you who remember my early postings on here and the trials and very dark days there were back then this is the lighter moment that I never dared hope I'd ever see again with mother.
I arrived to see her yesterday afternoon and she was positively beaming from ear to ear (not in anyway normal for mum). So I asked "why are you so happy". "I've got myself a man" was her quick reply. Well you could have knocked me over with a puff of air. I decided to play along. I don't think I've seen mum so pleased with herself in a very long time. She pointed out her new man and said he sits with her all the time and fetches things for her. In return she feeds him sweets and other nice things from her ample stash in her rollator bag. She called him over and it was clear to see he was sweet on her too. I just thought oh how sweet and who are they harming.
I asked when the wedding was and if I could be bridesmaid. She said he hadn't proposed yet...

It's moments like this that do add light on what is otherwise dark journey. I thought i'd share it with you all in the hope it makes you smile too.

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Brilll

for any of you who remember my early postings on here and the trials and very dark days there were back then this is the lighter moment that i never dared hope i'd ever see again with mother.
I arrived to see her yesterday afternoon and she was positively beaming from ear to ear (not in anyway normal for mum). So i asked "why are you so happy". "i've got myself a man" was her quick reply. Well you could have knocked me over with a puff of air. I decided to play along. I don't think i've seen mum so pleased with herself in a very long time. She pointed out her new man and said he sits with her all the time and fetches things for her. In return she feeds him sweets and other nice things from her ample stash in her rollator bag. She called him over and it was clear to see he was sweet on her too. I just thought oh how sweet and who are they harming.
I asked when the wedding was and if i could be bridesmaid. She said he hadn't proposed yet...

It's moments like this that do add light on what is otherwise dark journey. I thought i'd share it with you all in the hope it makes you smile too.

go with it has long has she happy in her world . Nice one

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
My Mum also met someone at daycare - it was so sweet and like you say a lighter moment! The carers used to comment on it as well and how nice it was. Unfortunately poor Jacks status seems to have now diminished in Mums eyes (he reciprocated but doesn't have dementia), but nice while it lasted.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Isabella I remember well the dark days and I'm so pleased there is light. Good for mum and good for her fella, long may it last

It did make me smile, I'm glad it gave you some amusement as well.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Isabella , I despaired when things were so bad and was so pleased when you returned and said how things had improved for both you and your mother now.
Now I'm delighted by this lovely post. It is indeed a light moment to cherish.
I hope there are many more to come for you both. xxx

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
That's great Isabella :) .

I too remember how desperate things were for you back then. Who would have believed the turnaround?

Long may it continue :)

Lin x

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
I guess by posting about a light and funny moment after such dark dark months I was hoping it would encourage those of you currently battling in such dark places to hope that for you too there can be brighter days ahead.

Isabella x

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Thank you for posting that Isabella, it brought a smile to my face! A lovely moment. x