Mum's in hospital

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
noelphobic said:
I know from past experience how difficult it can be all round when mum is in hospital

So the GP wasn't considering that? I thought the 'buzzword' these days was 'holistic' - sounds like he isn't, huh?

Mum had an enforced change of GP some years ago (family doc retired) and whilst new GP was clearly very able she and he just could not get on .... she decided even if it was 'out of the frying pan' she HAD to make a change .... we've never looked back - and I count my blessings now that it's ME has most of the communication with the doc that both mum and I have have absolute TRUST in him making informed decisions for mum which cover more than just the 'medical' presenting concern.

I guess it's like any other profession or role .... there are good/bad/mediocre and downright excellent people out there ..... let's hope if you do change you get the luck I feel I have had.

Most important, how's mum? And are you feeling any better? Manage any sleep?

Love and hugs, Karen, x

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Tender Face said:
Most important, how's mum? And are you feeling any better? Manage any sleep?
Love and hugs, Karen, x

Hi Karen

I've just got back from visiting. Mum was much the same as yesterday - sleeping, unresponsive etc. She hasn't eaten or drinken anything and has not passed urine. She is on IV fluids. When I asked whether she had eaten I was told 'we even tried to feed her'. I pointed out that she wouldn't have been able to feed herself anyway. Even when you feel up to eating you tend to get a bit of a raw deal on your first day in hospital - you get whatever the patient who was in that bed the day before ordered! Mum had a strange concoction of chips, jacket potato and peas! She also had a sponge pudding and custard and if she was going to eat anything then that would have been it! There was also a packet of crisps and there is no way she would or could eat those!

The only advantage I can see to her being in hospital is that she is on IV fluids which I assume she wouldn't be able to have in the nursing home. Also the IV anti biotics.

I am wondering whether this is the beginning of the end or whether the antibiotics will kick in and there will be some improvement. I suppose only time will tell.

Brenda

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Brenda,
There`s not much I can say, except I hope everything turns out for the best. If your mum is having IV fluids and anti-biotics, then she must be in the right place, for now, anyway.
Take care,

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
noelphobic said:
The only advantage I can see to her being in hospital is that she is on IV fluids which I assume she wouldn't be able to have in the nursing home. Also the IV anti biotics.

whether the antibiotics will kick in and there will be some improvement. I suppose only time will tell.

Dear Brenda

Just hoping and praying the antibiotics do the trick.

Love,

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
In between me visiting this afternoon and my sister going in this evening mum has had another fit. They now have her on liquid Epilim (sp?) and they think this will control it better than the tablets, although not sure why. I had the impression yesterday that she only had a relatively minor chest infection but the nurse told my sister this evening that it was 'chest infection query pneumonia'.

My son is due home from uni next weekend for the first time in 10 weeks. I only hope that nothing happens before he comes home. I am beginning to think that the doctor's prediction yesterday that mum might be ready for discharge on Monday is not looking likely.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
So sorry, Brenda. There's still time for the antibiotics to kick in, and hopefully the liquid Epilin will control the fits.

Try to get some rest tonight, and things might be brighter in the morning.

Thinking about you,

love,

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Brenda
Just caught up with your thread.
so sorry to hear your mum's in hospital.
Thinking of you and your mum
Take care
Love Wendy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Brenda,
I was wondering, if your mum is `query pneumonia` the GP read the signs and symptoms, as described by the NH, and acted in her best interests by sending for an ambulance.
I do hope the anti-biotics take effect quickly.
Take care, love

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Grannie G said:
Hi Brenda,
I was wondering, if your mum is `query pneumonia` the GP read the signs and symptoms, as described by the NH, and acted in her best interests by sending for an ambulance.
I do hope the anti-biotics take effect quickly.
Take care, love

not so sure about that. I am pretty sure that at some time she has had the pneumo vaccine though and am wondering if this means it is not completely effective.

A strange thing I have also noticed is that I have never so far witnessed any of her fits, yet have often just missed them. For instance, she had a fit this afternoon after I had left, yesterday afternoon she had a fit in the ambulance when I had decided to go to the hospital by car rather than accompany her in the ambulance. A couple of weeks ago I arrived at the home to be told she had not long had a fit.

Obviously I don't particularly want to be there when she has a fit, as there would be nothing useful I could do and I am sure I would find it very distressing. It just seems strange that I have had so many 'near misses'.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Brenda,

I know it`s not the same, but I worked with children for over 30 years, some had epilepsy and some had febrile fits, induced by high temperatures. I have never witnessed a fit in my life.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Grannie G said:
Dear Brenda,

I know it`s not the same, but I worked with children for over 30 years, some had epilepsy and some had febrile fits, induced by high temperatures. I have never witnessed a fit in my life.

My son had a seizure a couple of years ago because of hypoglycaemia. He was on holiday at the time and I wasn't there so I missed that also. I am sure I would have found it absolutely horrendous to witness, especially as he is the most important person in the world to me.

I have seen a stranger have a fit (although quite a long time ago). It was very disturbing but easier to cope with as I didn't know the person and they were with someone who knew how to deal with it.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I did wonder why my brother took my mother to hospital (quite a long journey and a long wait, and extra-busy because of a bank holiday) instead of calling a doctor, but perhaps a doctor wouldn't have come anyway.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
mel said:
Hi Brenda
How are things today?
Love Wendy x

Hi Wendy

Things are looking a bit better. Mum is awake and has eaten and drunk a small amount, plus no further fits to date. I just got back from seeing her and she was quite 'jumpy' and slightly irritable but I think that is an after effect of the fits.

The ward she is on seems pretty decent, compared to some of the others she has been on in the past. There is a lady in there who is a 'shouter' and who keeps trying to get out of bed despite having a drip. The other patients are getting very distressed and irritated by this, understandably so. I am sure that if you were in there for any length of time that, whilst logic would tell you that this lady is ill and can't help behaving in this way, it would nevertheless be very hard to cope with, especially when you're in ill health yourself. The only way this lady could be adequately looked after would be to have one to one care 24-7, which obviously isn't going to happen.

Still no results from mum's cat scan, although I don't really know what they were looking for on it so I'm not pushing for that too much.

Brenda

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I’ve just seen this thread, so been reading it all, just that my daughter has parcel (sp) epilepsy.

I phoned the ward this morning and was told that mum is 'still confused'! I can't wait to see how they are going to cure that! She has also been for a CT scan,

May be they are doing the scan to see where in your mother brain the seizures are happening. I am wondering had you mother had a CT before for the seizers? have they told you the results yet?

Also may be the care home told the doctor on phone that your mother has had seizers before and that’s why he said to send your mother to hospital.

I’ve seen my daughter have a seizures and it was very distressing , Scary , to see . They do not call it fits any more .

They do just happen like that when your not looking But I was glad I was there when she had her first massive one, and it took a long time before they done a ECG and CT scan on her, took a long time for the doctor to do the referral, even thought he was the consultant for that department , so really your lucky that your mother was taken into hospital, even thought it does make her more confused and very distressing for her and for you, at lest she get to the bottom of it way she haveing the seizures

Last edited:

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Margarita said:
May be they are doing the scan to see where in your mother brain the seizures are happening. I am wondering had you mother had a CT before for the seizers? have they told you the results yet?

I think they just did the scan to rule out a stroke. They have now said that it wasn't a stroke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne-Marie14