Mum's home.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Tell me about it, one minute she can do her word searches the next minute she doesn't seem to know how to do any of it? I left her with a neighbour for an hour whilst i nipped down the town, apparently she wouldn't sit still put her jacket on and was wanting home, its going to be difficult leaving her soon i think, might have to get someone in to sit with her although i can see her having problems with that as she doesn't take too well to strangers (even though i will make sure we have met this person before hand many times)..... If only i could get some sleep i feel i could conquer the world (well maybe not!).

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I would say i have had a second night of uninterrupted sleep, but i won't, two nights ago mum slept like a log even managing to get up and use the commode, i thought (stupidly) thats great now if every night was like this! Anyway, last night mum was going out with loud noises, like yawns (and the ho ho) but a bit louder, i tried explaining there were people in the next house trying to sleep, mum says sorry and within 5 minutes she is off again. I give mum her tablets about 30 minutes earlier now so that the Quetiapene kicks in by the time she changes into her pj's (she is now doing that herself, yet when she came home from respite she couldn't!) and gets into bed she is tired and will hopefully fall asleep.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hi Carabosse,
"Good Nights Sleep" - three little words so hard to achieve!
May I ask, has your mum had her full set of meds reviewed recently? Perhaps there is an inballance? Either way I think that you should have a word with mum's doctor, if you have the same doctor, I suggest that it would absolutely not be selfish for you to make the conversation a little "about me" too.
- Fingers crossed for tonight - Twiddler.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I never thought i would be using those 3 little words, once every so often would be nice!
Yes mum and i have the same Dr and he is absolutey fantastic, brilliant, superb, top notch (get the picture), he is reluctant to play around with mums drugs if you do her bp usually goes through the floor, but mum is booked in to see him in a week or two so i will ask him then. The Dr usually asks how i'm getting on, or if anything is worrying me, so i do creep into her consultation time.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I knew it would be too good to last (having a good nights sleep)...back to the nightmare of mum getting up and down and not 'seeing' the commode in her bedroom and going in search of the bathroom. I usually get up when i hear her opening her bedroom door and show her back to the commode, i did hear her open her door once but shut it again and go back to bed, this made me wonder if i should get up when i hear her door or should i just leave her to it?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
An update on how things are going.....
Past few nights mum has been refusing to go to bed (taking tablets, see other post), getting up during the night to find the toilet, the commode she has she says she has never used (she has) and won't be using it (she does), and coming out of her bedroom door shouting things as if someone has been calling to her.... so nights are becoming nightmares again, any suggestions.

tarababe

Sep 9, 2012
Durham
I am so sorry you are going through this when you are trying your best for your mum. When my mum came to stay at our for Christmas we had the same issues. Up every hour wandering around, going to the bathroom, trying to turn off the lamp we left on for her to see, opening our bedroom door and coming into our room wondering why were were there (Not sure where she thought she was) and so on and so forth...We were exhausted the next day and so must she have been. :(

I'm no expert but I think it may just be the disease, as when we eventually had no option but to move her into a lovely care home, she still does the same. I think she gets so tired she eventually sleeps through one night. The difference is, the carers are there to work during the night and take care of her, which we couldn't keep up at this level and hold down our jobs which we need to do.

I hope you manage to sort something out as I know from your post you and your mum don't want to go via this option, so maybe others will give you some advise as to things that will help. She may well eventually settle down a bit and into a routine. :)

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Carabosse

Just trying to think of ways of keeping your mum in her room -would having a radio on low help at all, do you think? Low soothing music and a comforting voice in the background might help to calm her?

Is she warm/cool enough inher room?

Would a cuddly teddy in her bed help? Perhaps one of those lavender filled ones that you warm up in the microwave?

Would it help if you slept in the same room occasionally (not ideal, I know)?

Would she like to be read to when she first goes to bed? I'm thinking of those CDs you can get, I bought my MIL some when she was in hospital. It might send her off to sleep.

Would a plug in night light work better than a bedside lamp?

Would she wear an eye mask? (Probably a silly idea!)

Apologies if these ideas are no good, just trying to think of anything that might help.

Good luck!

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mum has brush cotton sheets just now as the temperature drops quite a bit during the night so even if she is warm when she goes to bed if she didn't have them she would be cold before morning, when the summer comes she will have her cotton sheets. The heating is left on but turned down, so if it goes below 14 degrees the heating will come on so she doesn't get cold during the night.
I did buy a night light that you plug in but its not bright enough for mum to see the commode should she need it, hence the small table lamp. Mum isn't one for reading or listening to cd's, so going down that route might not be a good idea. I'm not sure i could sleep in the same room, but it is something to consider only thing is there isn't any room.
I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope she settles, only thing is she is due to go to respite again soon, so any routine is going to be interrupted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson