mums has now broken her hip

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
help all
after her first fall when she broke her arm I tried everthing ( ie cpn, doctor,social services) all that happend was care visit increased from one to two visits a day now mum has had another fall and broken her hip. bless she was found by the care worker and the doctors think she was laying on the bedroom floor for at least 11 hours she has now had a hip replacement but doesnt understand and since she has been in hospital she has ripped her drip out three times constantley pulled her dressing off and is trying to get up all the time and the hospital say she can go home in 5 days as mum lives on her own where do I go for help surely there is no way they should sent someone home in her condition

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello nemesisis,

I`m sure your mother can`t be sent home unless a care package has been arranged for her.

I feel you will just need to pester SS to ensure she gets the care she needs.

I honestly don`t know enough about it but can imagine how worried you are. I hope someone else can give you some more constructive advice.

Take care xx

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
ta grannie

lets hope so have never had much support from social services before but bless cpn has been very good she came on the last assesment and while she was there ss said they would do this and that etc but after she went they backtracked and i had to fight to even get two visits as they tried to extend lunchtime visit so i dont trust them

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You might get more help from the hospital social services. Sylvia's right: they can't send her home willy nilly, and I found the hospital based social services more helpful than the regular kind. Before they discharge her they need to have a discharge plan in place, so that's your first stop: find out what's on that and then raise merry hell when you discover that they haven't taken account of your mother's condition (see how positive I am)

Love

Jennifer

nemesisis

May 25, 2006
jenn

oh thanks was wondering about that as when mum was admitted they did give me a letter with information and there was a number to ring if you wanted to make an appointment with the hospital social worker so thanks perhaps this is the best thing to do

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
How was your mother's mobility before she broke her hip and how is it now? Has she had any physio since the hip replacement and do they plan to continue with this when she goes home?

I don't wish to alarm you and it may well be different for your mother, but my mother broke her hip nearly 2 years ago while she was in a care home. She spent about 5 weeks in hospital and then had to go into a nursing home because she could no longer walk. I think she would have been able to walk again if her dementia had been less advanced as there was no physiological reason why she couldn't - she did get up and walk unaided several times in the hospital to the great alarm of the other patients!

I definitely think it would be a good idea to talk to the hospital social worker as soon as possible to investigate what help will be available for your mum on discharge. Don't let them discharge until you are happy with the agreed after care.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
as noelphobic says, worth checking everything.

After my Jan fell while in the 'care' of the assessment ward and fractured her pelvis, she never really was ever able to walk thereafter.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi, sorry to hear your mum broke her hip. I hope that she recovers well from this, I can understand your concerns and agree with others that the hospital social worker may be of assistance. I know in the past with my dad they have helped him. Hoping everything works out well. Take Care. Taffy.