Mum's had a fall and got a pubic rami double fracture

waterwoman

Jun 12, 2007
I was just reading the hip thread and was a bit surprised about the differences in treatment by different hospitals. My Mum suffers dementia moderate to late stage. She is 85 years old. A couple of weeks ago she fell and suffered a double pubic rami fracture (a sort of pelvic fracture). The only treatment she has been offered is bedrest and painkillers. When I looked it up on the web, a prosthesis/replacement was recommended for the over 65s. After a couple of days bedrest, they are mobilising her (or trying to!).

Has anyone experience of this kind of fracture and what usually happens?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't know if it was the same sort of fracture, but my mother had a pubic bone fracture. Unfortunately for her, it wasn't picked up until approx 3 months after it occurred (despite being hospitalized for a month of that time and having 2 x-rays). "Typically" they expected a hip fracture as she had fallen and when they didn't find that they didn't look any further :mad: Strangely, though, she was ambulating reasonably well even with this undiscovered fracture: however 3 months later I got her x-rayed again when the pain increased dramatically which was when the fracture was discovered. I'm still not convinced one way or the other whether that is the reason she can no longer weight bear: she also has severe arthritis in her hip (with no remaining cartiledge).

My mother is 90 with among other things, a dodgy heart, so she wouldn't be a candidate for surgery anyway.

Jennifer

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
My Jan had a similar fracture when on assessment in 2001.

The treatment was simply rest to allow it to knit together.

I guess it did that, but Jan never walked again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman