Mum's getting worse

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
I posted recently about my concerns re: mum's eligibility for CHC after her annual review.
In early May the unit manager felt that mum no longer needed her Quetiapine as she had calmed down.
Unfortunately, I've just been informed through our monthly update that mum has taken a turn for the worse. She has become more agitated and is grabbing at carers and banging and shouting. She had another fall out of her chair last week and has also become sexually disinhibited- flashing her boobs at any men that come into the room, including her partner.
She's been seen by the GP who has increased her Quetiapine and also by the consultant geriatrician ( who visits the home weekly).
The consultant thinks she may be suffering from headaches but not able to express it so they have reduced her blood pressure medication as her BP is now low/normal.
Although this is worrying- in terms of CHC it's indicative that she will still qualify which is good.
Isn't it prophetic!
I'm so grateful that she is in such a good place- having a consultant attached who visits once a week- how good is that!.
I have her CHC assessment on July 12th so will update you then.
I'm spending the weekend with her at the NH as her partner is actually taking the weekend off to visit his daughter. I'm really looking forward to spending a bit more time with her.
Love Tarika

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope you have a nice time with your mum and that she is suffering a bit less. Take care. Izzy x

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
Thanks Izzy,

I did have a lovely time being with mum for the weekend but I'm shocked at the deterioration in her. From last week when she was able to have a little chat- this week she has had a fall from her bed and her shins are covered in bruises. Her arms are scratched and her neck. She's retreated so far into herself it's very difficult to get her to react to stimulus.
Plus as they've increased her Quetiapine it's as if she can't get her words out- her toungue looks like it's too big for her mouth.
She ate really well yesterday and I signed a form to administer covert medication. Basically- as she's been refusing I have said they can mix her meds with jam or dissolve them in a drink. I'm very uncomfortable with doing this but weighing up the enormous risk she poses to herself I don't think there's any option.

I'm glad I had the chance to spend more time with her this weekend but devastated to think that I'm losing more of her.
Love Tarika

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The deterioration always comes as a shock, no matter how much we think we know and how hard we try to prepare ourselves.