Mum's funeral yesterday

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
We had mum's funeral yesterday. It was lovely and she would have approved!

The hearse and limousine arrived at her flat. It was really poignant as mum had never returned to her home after she had her first stroke in June 2008. But she came home and neighbours came out to say goodbye.

The flowers were beautiful and the maitre d' (???) walked the hearse to the main road very dignified and respectfully. There were 6 of us- me, my partner, her partner, her previous partner's brother and two neighbours who were her close friends.

We went to Mortlake Crematorium. I'd spoken to the vicar in the week to arrange the service. I chose 'Hallelujah' by Robert Gass (an arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon) as the music to enter and depart. We sang 'Lord of all Hopefulness'- the vicar read a piece I had written about mum and my partner read a John Masefield poem 'I must go down to the sea again' (mum was from Cornwall and loved the sea).

We went back to her favourite pub in Hammersmith for drinks and a meal and it was lovely- sharing memories and just chatting.

I used a well known chain of funeral directors and they were excellent. They did everything.

I still can't believe she's gone but I am so pleased with yesterday. My partner took lots of photos as a memory for us.

Rest in peaace my darling mum.

Love Tarika

lotus

Mar 24, 2010
cloud cuckoo land!!!!!!!!!!!
rip

she will and is. you did her grand. well done.

i experienced a loss of purpose in following days - its bound to happen.

holding your hand in peace and hope our moms are having a lovely tea together .xxxxxxxxxxxx

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Dear Tarika, thanks for letting us know how it went. Your mum would be proud of the care you'd put into the service and I'm so glad it went well xx

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
so pleased it went well and you will have lots of good memories your mum would have been so proud love larivy

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Tarika, I'm pleased the funeral went well. It sounds as if it was a lovely goodbye to your mum.

turbo

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad it went well. It sounded really dignified. I love both pieces of music and the poem. Take care of yourself. Izzy x

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Tarika, your mum's funeral sounded lovely and means you will have peace of mind.

"Those who live in our hearts never truly die"xxxx

Carolyn1

Jul 31, 2010
sympathies

My thoughts go with you at this sad time. Im glad the day went well, it sound like you did your mum proud. Im sure it was very difficult for you all. Hang in there xxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Tarika

It sounds as if you are really satisfied with the arrangements you made for your mum and the way her funeral was conducted. Well done. You have done the very best you could for her.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Hello, Tarika,

I am so pleased your mother's funeral went so well.
It is important to those left behind to feel they did their best for their loved one, a final gift at parting.
Take care of yourself now, and best wishes,
sleepless.

florence43

Jul 1, 2009
London
Dear Tarika,

It sounds perfect. I know that feeling of getting it just right! I think she would have been very proud.

If you feel like the days are very long and you're at a loose end, we're all still here for you just to gee you along in the quietr times to come.

Lots of love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Tarika,

Your post have moved me to tears. I am so pleased that it all went so well and it sounded like you were surrounded by love during the day.

Love

AMS

Feb 25, 2009
Tyneside
I'm so pleased that you were able to feel so positively about your mother's funeral, Tarika - it sounded like a wonderful day.

My mam died last week and I'm not looking forward to the funeral one little bit as I'm terrified I'm going to be some sobbing wreck that they're going to have to pick off the floor.

I'm praying that I can find the positives of the day (ie that it's a celebration of her life, she wouldn't want us to be unhappy, that she was loved by so many people etc) and not just be entirely engulfed with grief.

Anne-Marie

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger