Mums fall

middlemiss

Apr 27, 2014
Mum had a fall last week resulting in a broken bone in her neck. Won't wear a collar, any movement could be fatal, won't stay in bed. Can't be sedated to reduce movement as this could fatally dislodge broken bone. So confused in hospital, demonstrates agitation by walking around, needs constant supervision. Has anyone come across this? I'm exhausted.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Dear middlemiss :)

I haven't experienced anything as bad as this, the worst for me was when mum broke her arm and couldn't understand why she had a sling, let alone keep it on. Your situation with your mum must be so worrying.

I'm afraid I can't offer any tips, but I do send you a massive hug. I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight xx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry for both of you. You must be exhausted and very stressed. I can't help but thought I would bump this up to see if anyone else has any experience of such a difficult situation.

I am surprised (or am I) that the medics haven't come across this before and cannot reduce her agitation. Is she agitated because of the pain as well?

Thinking of you x

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
So confused in hospital, demonstrates agitation by walking around, needs constant supervision.

Ideally, your Mum should have one to one care - a care assistant with her at all times. I've seen this on a Care of the Elderly ward with a patient who had dementia and was very mobile.

I would speak to the Senior Nurse/Ward Manager and ask if this can be arranged. It takes six weeks for a fracture to heal, so I hope she is getting adequate pain relief. Some painkillers have a "sedating" effect and it could be that she needs stronger painkillers. Have you spoken to the doctors?

middlemiss

Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for your replies and kind thoughts. Mum can't have sedation because it would relax the muscles too much in her neck! She's on a 5th ward now since last Thursday but they are wonderful. They gave her a twiddlemuff to keep her fingers busy, and is having one to one supervision. I've been with her for 8 hours again today and then the support nurse arrived to watch her all through tonight. Sometimes she wants to walk and that's OK as long as we are with her. She's very confused, sometimes angry, sometimes tearful because she doesn't understand why she can't be at home. Xray on Thursday and review Friday, possible discharge next week. This needs to be into respite or 24 hour care at home for around 4 - 6 weeks. Lots to organise!!

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Well done you. Fantastic news about the ward - time for you to get some sleep!! Thinking of you