Mums Dog

Gerry C

Mar 25, 2020
Looking for some advice if available. My mums dog has to be put to sleep and not sure, due to her dementia, whether I should take her to the vet. Does anyone have any experience of this or advice. Thanks x

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
At the moment most vets are accepting emergencies only and some are asking owners to stay outside, so I think you need to talk to your vet first. They will want as few people there as possible.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My vet is not letting you go in with your animals so I think Banjomansmate is right - talk to your vet.

I suspect if anyone is allowed in, it will be one person only.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Gerry C
a warm welcome to DTP
I suspect it wouldn't be wise to take your mum, as you just won't know how she may react
if she at any time asks about her dog, and doesn't really take on board what has actually happened, maybe tell her the dog wasn't well so is at the vet's to see what can be done and can't come home until the vet says so ... it's not wholly untrue

Gerry C

Mar 25, 2020
hello @Gerry C
a warm welcome to DTP
I suspect it wouldn't be wise to take your mum, as you just won't know how she may react
if she at any time asks about her dog, and doesn't really take on board what has actually happened, maybe tell her the dog wasn't well so is at the vet's to see what can be done and can't come home until the vet says so ... it's not wholly untrue
Thanks shedrech , she has an awareness he is unwell and the vet suggested bringing her along but not to see the euthanasia but to see him afterwards. To be honest there is probably not an answer as both scenarios, take mum or not, will be difficult.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Do you really think she would want to see his body afterwards? Maybe it is best if she just says “Goodbye” to him as you take him out the door?