Mum's Disinhibited Behaviour

duffy2

Aug 26, 2018
Hello,

Can anyone offer advice or support regarding help managing disinhibited behaviour? Is there a medication that can subdue symptoms?

My mum began using the odd offensive word around a year or so ago, but its steadily progressed. She slips into a 'role' when anyone sees her, quoting the same lines. It's not graphic or crude, but she'll ask about boyfriends/sex life/say she's pregnant, etc. Always followed by a laugh. It becomes tricky to manage when she talks to/around my young daughter and I explain it away as though she's a teenage boy (this sense of humour). However, she's become very 'handsy' and will grab, touch, etc us at times. She'll try putting her hands up jumpers and been known to poke chests and ask 'where'd you get them?' She has daily personal care calls that, unfortunately, are with 2 different agencies. This means there are many new faces in and out of her home all the time, and some of the workers report my mum's behaviour every single time. This means I can be called daily with a different worker's complaint, when my mum's behaviour is symptomatic of her dementia, rather than anything malicious. I feel that I'm constantly having to justify/explain her condition to the agency when they call me, that we're 'wrong' and they're 'right'.

My mum had been given memantine around 5 months ago and, after a review, it has now been stopped in order to measure her behaviours. I feel like everyone is treating her symptoms as a first, as though they've never known dementia to effect people like this. Aside from almost daily phone calls about her behaviour (and me being at a loss of what more I can say/do), another agency recently fully withdrew its service when some workers claimed how my mother talks is 'disgusting'. They described someone that we, as a family, and her day centre, friends/neighbours, etc do not recognise, as we are the ones who spend most time with her, however the agency says they know best.

Aside from my caring responsibilities to both my parents, my young family, my job, etc it feels that it's becoming more overwhelming for me to manage everything for everyone. To set up an appropriate care package (that works!), to deal with constant battles with our local Trust for support, to address complaints as they need addressed, etc is a lot to cope with when I've no other support. Siblings have deferred it all to me and my dad doesn't challenge this. Between appointments (for both), emails, phone calls, meetings, daily living, arranging schedules, transport, etc it's like a full time job. And I've tried to see my gp for support and been given an appointment 4 weeks away!
(sorry, I posted before finished)

I went off on a tangent, but ultimately want to ask others if there's a medication they found helped settle this behaviour so my mum is not constantly reported to me and we can feel confident taking her out and about in public without worry of her causing offence?

Any advice, support, signposting is welcome. I'm feeling so low about it all, I'm struggling a lot and can't afford to go under with so many others depending on me.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Have you written to the GP detailing exactly what you’ve told us?

I think you’ll benefit from having a chat with our helpline

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22

Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
Christmas break opening hours:
Christmas Eve
(Tuesday 24 December)
9am – 5pm
Christmas Day
(Wednesday 25 December)
CLOSED
Boxing Day
(Thursday 26 December)
CLOSED
New Year's Eve
(Tuesday 31 December)
9am – 5pm
New Year's Day
(Wednesday 1 January)
CLOSED
We will be open as usual on all other days.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh dear, Your mum has got a load of frontal lobe problems doesnt she? I dont know what sort of dementia your mum has got, but it is very reminiscent of Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD), where the problem is not so much the memory as the behaviour and personality. It is much more rare than the usual form of dementia that starts with memory loss and many people (even those who should know) do not equate difficult behaviours with dementia.

Yes, there is medication that can dampen it down (although probably not get rid of it altogether). You can get her GP to refer her to the Community Psychiatric Team, although I note that someone is taking steps to monitor her behaviour so it sounds like someone is already seeking to address this issue.

BTW, I have heard of relatives of people with frontal lobe problems making up business sized cards saying "please excuse my behaviour" and a brief explanation, so that relatives/carers can discretely hand them out to people who may be offended.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My friend’s husband who has vascular dementia and my husband who had Alzheimer’s had such behaviour. We both cared for our husband’s without outside help so their behaviour did not cause as much of a problem as you are experiencing. As it was my husband I was always with him and the minute it started I could isolate him if we were out. Indoors it was just me.

It must be so difficult for you and I just don’t understand why the Carers and care companies don’t understand. It is a behaviour that can show itself with dementia, it’s not unusual. When my husband went into nursing care I saw this behaviour on a daily basis. For my husband, like most types of behaviour we see, it passed only to be replaced by another one that somehow seemed worse than the last on.

Hopefully some medication can be prescribed to help you both.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @duffy2

I recognise the desperation in your post. My dad’s behaviour was very inappropriate for about 6 months before we realised that it started with an increased dosage of Donepezil. It disappeared when the dose was reduced. He was also given a small dose of sodium valproate for a while to suppress his urges.

I don’t think this kind of behaviour is that unusual in dementia but I do know how distressing it can be.

I also have two siblings but they left me to care for my dad - and you’re right it is like a full time job! I hope you can find some support - carers with proper dementia training should be able to cope with this. My dad was worse!!!

Nikko

Jun 15, 2019
Hi

I had something similar, perhaps not quite as bad in some description. My Mum was diagnosed in May '19 and given Doneprizil. Her behaviour went off the chart. Due to the increase in aggressive behaviour (from my mum) I initiated a crisis call. The Crisis team were great and took her off the meds and prescribed Risperidone. This, for us, has been a god send. Mum's behaviour is more 'normal'. Less inappropriate behaviour with strangers etc. I am aware that there is an increase in the risk of stroke and sleepiness. This does not seem to affected her (maybe we are lucky). The down side is there is nothing to slow the Alzheimers. Her decline is more progressive than Dad's. (Diagnosed in Jan19).

Like you, my brother doesn't give a fig, using his 89 year old mother for child and dog care! Needless to say, he ignored me and eventually SS had a word, as I told them I was absolved of anything that may happen to the kids.

Good luck.

duffy2

Aug 26, 2018
Many thanks Cat27, Canary, Jay or and Bunpoots... I truly appreciate the responses and take on board what you've all said.

It really helps to hear I'm not alone and that this is not some unique set of behaviours no-one else has heard of or dealt with. There's no joined up approach towards my mum's care (e.g GP, health Trust, services, etc) and it's hard to navigate between all of them and deal with some condescension I've faced. I know my mum best, so to have service providers tell me otherwise is very upsetting. It's hard to keep going!

I need to use all the support I can and I appreciate all that you contribute.

Thanks again.

duffy2

Aug 26, 2018
Thanks, Nikko. That's helpful to hear another experience. My mum's been taking Donepezil for almost 2 years. The Memantine was supplemented for a trial period in the past months. I often wonder how someone can attend a dementia clinic, be prescribed Donepezil and sent way to be reviewed annually, as was our case. How can a one size fits all approach work? Plus, I'd no idea certain meds can exacerbate symptoms, no-one told us of this and what to watch for.

Sorry your brother doesn't seem to care about your mum and fair play for having SS contact him, as if it came from you (I'd imagine) he wouldn't listen. My siblings will have to live with their conscience, but in the meantime make an odd appearance to 'keep in' with my dad. Boundaries are needed, I've learned. We can only change ourselves and how we think, not others.

Last edited: