Mums council tenancy

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Worth all the advice I received from CAB, solicitors and HOs not one of them told me that so loads of time has been wasted. Mum been in a home now since April and after 6 week cooling off period would have no longer been a tenant. I've been badly advised by all concerned and just going to wait to be thrown out

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I hope you aren't, Kazza. I only came up with that solution of referring to the CoP for a decision because you had reached an impasse with the council. I don't really understand your Council's attitude as until recently we were council tenants and I enquired about the situation if Mum were to go into care. I was told the right to a tenancy (albeit in a property smaller than our current house) could be assigned to myself and my brother - there was no mention of the fact that Mum didn't have capacity and couldn't assign the tenancy and they knew that Mum had dementia. In any event, Mum is still with us.

I can't remember if I asked you - but did your mother already succeed to the tenancy when your father passed away? In that case, I don't think there can be a further assignment.

Is it possible they will rehouse you as I am surprised you are still in the flat 6 months after your Mum moved. Normally they only give you about 3 months to move out, I've been told.

Have you spoken to a senior HO or manager - is there any leeway at all - I would pursue this, if I were you. They could be generous and grant assignment retrospectively. Can someone from Shelter speak on your behalf? I don't think you have anything in writing from the Council?

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I have not spoken to any housing officers since my terrible meeting with the second one back in March when I told her mum would be moving to care home. I gave her CoP order, she took copy's she told me she would be in touch in due course as m had to go through cooling off period at home. Heard nothing. Submitted a SAR for info on housing file. Notes on there from first HO saying if I get COP I can sign the change of circumstance form on behalf of mum. By time I got cop she had left and second one was working there. She avoided any meeting with me for four months! They are inefficient from what I see. Anyway, second housing officer is gone and there is yet another one but no notes on there was my meeting with second HO in March. I should contact them but I'm terrified of being thrown out with nowhere to go. Having nightmares and terrified when the bell rings :(

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lilika

Dec 15, 2016
Long road...

Hi Kazza,

This post was so helpful for me, as I am just experiencing what you are going trough. My mum lives in a council bedsit and I moved in some time in January. Called the Housing couple of days ago, after reading your blog. I had no idea what my options are, until I read your post. She is a secure tenant and is now bed bound and everything that goes with it. She has both leg ulcers, long term diabetic sufferer, coming from the hospital any day now. I am sick of worry what the life is going to be. She takes very strong painkillers that make her drowsy. It scares me to see her like that, she can hold the conversation for about couple of minutes and then starts talking things that make no sense. I am also working full time, started only in September, had a fare share of hardship. I told the council that I am living here since January and got such hostile response that I am so scared to call them again:( I want to call CoP but my brother is making it difficult for me, doesn't want me to go down that route, but to wait till mum gets better and then to write the letter and she signs, but I don't think that is good, because most of the time she doesn't know where she is anymore.
I am so scared, just like you, don't know what to do if they kick me out of here. My wages are so low that I wan't be able to afford even a room. Sorry to write all of this, but feel that no one I know can remotely understand what I am going through.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Lilika
welcome to TP
I have no experience of your situation but wanted to respond to your post just to say hello
you sound to have a great deal to cope with and not much support
does your mum have any home care visits, as she is pretty unwell - maybe contact her Local Authority Adult Services for an assessment of her care needs
personally, I would also contact the OPG/COP - you can call them and keep your questions quite open, not giving any specific information about yourself or your mother - I did this a while ago and just said "I'm considering doing this ..... is this acceptable, what do you suggest/advise" and the operator was really helpful (I only had to wait 20 mins for them to put me through to someone) - I've also e-mailed them and got a helpful reply in about 10 days, and having their written response was useful, to be able to show someone else an official reply
best wishes

Lilika

Dec 15, 2016
Hello Shedrech,

Thank you for reply. Mum still in hospital, got another problem now, with her chest. Want be back home till they see if she is fit, at the moment they say, it doesn't look good. I was hoping she could come home, she doesn't speak any English and it makes it even more difficult, she doesn't understand when they talk to her, nurses, nor can they understand if she needs something. Tomorrow I will go to the local library where a Council adviser, attends to questions. So, I hope I will get some answers in how to go forward with everything. I have been told, once home, she will have a carer 4 times a day, for half an hour, to give her to eat and lift her on a hoist. It just kills me to see her totally helpless. I was hoping when she comes home and be in a familiar environment, she will get better. Told my brother that we have to contact COP, it is now paramount that we take care of all of her affairs. Today the doctor also told me she will never recover, so this condition is permanent. To watch her in so much pain is excruciating. If after tomorrow I am no wiser, will call Housing again. Last time when I called them, they told me that this is too small and that I am invading her space. Her space is her bad from now on and our parents should always have a chance to be looked by their children, when possible. I sense, this is going to be a long battle, for helping my mother to ease her sufferings and with the council to let me stay and look after her. I will keep posting on how this unravels. This site helped me tremendously and I am so grateful that something like this exists. thank you so much.

Jadie247

Aug 20, 2017
What happened in the ends?

Hi I'm new here I've been reading various posts about the tenancy situation.. I care for my nan who is bed bound and had dementia because of her skin integrity she needs to be moved a lot more and the carers only come 4 times a day this has happened before and social services advised the next time this happens she'll will have to go into care and behold it's happened again.. I live with her and my dad in her council home the property unfortunately has been succeeded once and they advised last time I would have to leave? I've lived here for 11 years surely that counts for something they know I live here but I'm not on the tenancy only down as a non dependant.. I'm on the housing register and have been actively bidding.. my question is what have happened to people in the same situation? Do I refuse to leave and wait for eviction notice and fight my case? Or leave and be homeless? I can't afford provate rent..
Thanks for any advise

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Hi I'm new here I've been reading various posts about the tenancy situation.. I care for my nan who is bed bound and had dementia because of her skin integrity she needs to be moved a lot more and the carers only come 4 times a day this has happened before and social services advised the next time this happens she'll will have to go into care and behold it's happened again.. I live with her and my dad in her council home the property unfortunately has been succeeded once and they advised last time I would have to leave? I've lived here for 11 years surely that counts for something they know I live here but I'm not on the tenancy only down as a non dependant.. I'm on the housing register and have been actively bidding.. my question is what have happened to people in the same situation? Do I refuse to leave and wait for eviction notice and fight my case? Or leave and be homeless? I can't afford provate rent..
Thanks for any advise

Jadie welcome to TP.

You need expert advice about housing, so contact your local citizens advice. Go to https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ and put in your postcode.

TP is great for support and advice about dementia, but housing is a minefield, and citizens advice will help you through.

RioDF

Nov 13, 2016
I am currently in this situation too, mum went into a care home 2 months ago and I've been living in her council house for 20 years now this is what's happening with me at the moment.
The Housing Officer came over 4 weeks after I had first tried to get in touch with her she told me that I will be moved into a 1 bedroom since I don't have the income to cover the rent for the 2 bedroom we lived in however I wouldn't be evicted, they will let me stay here as an 'occupant' but I will be in charge of covering rent during this time until I am moved.
This was now 4 weeks ago and I haven't heard from her since that day and they are sending my mum the rent arrears letter even though she's been in the care home for 2 months, so I have no idea how that one is going to play out.
For anyone who is also in this situation get in touch with the Family Mosaic/Care Point in your area, they have been helping me with my case and speaking with the council on my behalf and been very helpful.