Mums carehome on lockdown

Joancz

Oct 2, 2019
I haven't seen Mum for about 10 days as have had a cold so wouldn't visit anyway. We were notified on Friday that Mum's nursing home is now in lockdown - initially for a week, but I think it will have to be longer to safeguard the residents. The last time it was locked down due to a D & V bug, and it was closed for 3 weeks, I worried that Mum would miss us - when we were allowed back in to visit there was no mention from mum as to why she hadn't seen us we were greeted exactly the same as before. To be fair Mum never thinks we visit anyway as she is always telling carers that we don't visit. I think it is family that worry more than the PWD.
Thanks for your reply. It got me thinking,; my mum often says she hasnt seen us for weeks, even if we were there the day before. Im already missing her, but she probably is none the wiser

Joancz

Oct 2, 2019
Mum’s home is on lockdown now with no limit- I expect they will see how things develop before making a decision about when visitors can return.
I rang Mum today & she asked why I was phoning instead of visiting. I visit frequently and Mum is always pleased to see me and also chats to everyone else’s visitors too. I explained why I wouldn’t be up for a while and she said it’s for the best.

I think the home have done the right thing but have to say that sometimes the staff are there with coughs or sniffles when I really think they should be at home in bed.

Joancz

Oct 2, 2019
P
[/QUOTE hello father ted ? its good that you can have a relatively 'normal ' conversation with your mum, and she's on board with the situation. My mums dementia is now too advanced for her to understand what I'm talkng about, if I were to explain why I am not visiting. She loves our visits, but seems equally happy when we leave, so I'm hoping she'll just be fine

Kielder37

Mar 23, 2020
On Politics Live today (can be viewd on iplayer ) Nicci Gerrard autor of 'What Dementia Teaches Us about Love' said family carers are not visitor, they are essential to the health and well being to the person who is vulnerable' naturally with the appropriate precautions... as she said so well thy may not die of the Corona Virus but could die of loneliness and disconnection I feel very strongly about this as I know my mother would not understand and would be devastated. Nicci Gerrard feels that family carers of dementia sufferers should be giving the same rights as carers of young children. I have made a contacted the funding authority in my mother's case to ensure that they put a Depravation of Liberty Safeguarding in Place.
Exactly.

So far my mum's nursing home is limiting visitors and each visitor has to sign a declaration that we are in good health and not visited any of the at risk countries. I didn't mind as I've nothing to hide and was happy that they're taking
Mum’s home is on lockdown now with no limit- I expect they will see how things develop before making a decision about when visitors can return.
I rang Mum today & she asked why I was phoning instead of visiting. I visit frequently and Mum is always pleased to see me and also chats to everyone else’s visitors too. I explained why I wouldn’t be up for a while and she said it’s for the best.

I think the home have done the right thing but have to say that sometimes the staff are there with coughs or sniffles when I really think they should be at home in bed.
I agree that it is necessary to protect our loved ones at this time but it is heartbreaking that we cannot explain to them why we have suddenly stopped visiting. In my mums case I have to communicate by miming everything I say as if we were acting out charades. I think her hearing has deteriorated. She is not aware that she has a call button to ask for help from the carers and wanders around looking for the toilet etc even though there is one in her room. Skype sadly will not be useful at her stage of the illness. It is a truly heartbreaking situation