Mums benefits

Eddie Glencoe

Apr 20, 2022
Hi , would anyone know where I start to look at my mums benefits?
She is 76 and has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s and only claims basic pension.

Thank you

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
She cannot claim benefits merely because of a diagnosis. For example she can claim attendance allowance if her needs are such that she needs attendance. If you will tell us more about the help and support she needs, e. g carers, you will doubtless receive plenty of guidance here.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Eddie Glencoe and welcome to Talking Point.

The main benefit to go for is Attendance Allowance. Once you have got that you can go for Council Tax Disregard and there may be other benefits that she is eligible for too.
I would contact AgeUK, who are very knowledgeable about benefits and will help you with form filling.
Do you have POA ? - if so this will make it much easier for you to sort out benefits for her. If not, please do this as soon as.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi , would anyone know where I start to look at my mums benefits?
She is 76 and has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s and only claims basic pension.

Thank you
age uk are good and will go through it with you or CAB or even welfare rights if they have one in the council will all do it. attendance allowance will probably be the first one but check it out

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Following Mum's Alzheimer's diagnosis, we had a visit from the memory team. They filled out the forms for Mum's AA and whilst this took some time to be processed, payment was backdated.

Eddie Glencoe

Apr 20, 2022
Thanks everyone, this is all new to me and also the first time using this service , we have POA sorted . I’ll look into how I can get it started , she has 3 carers a day and still lives at home but spent last week in hospital really confused.

I’m trying to get more knowledge and information on how to deal with everything that comes with this illness and here looks great ,
Thanks everyone ??

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Eddie Glencoe
a warm welcome from me too

This may help

You may be considering residential care for your mum, this may give you useful info

try again

Jun 21, 2018
My mother's attendance allowance was sorted straight away by the Alzheimer's association. That let to council tax exemption and also a free TV licence now.
I also enquired on line about a pension credit, not expecting anything as she has moderate savings but after a phone consultation with them she now gets that as well.