Mum's been diagnosed with Alzheimers

Mummysgirl

Jan 21, 2010
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 12 months ago. She's 72.
Fortunately she has been prescribed Aricept and this does seem to be making a difference. At the moment the main symptom she is showing is forgetting something she's been told and repeating something she has just said (more than once!).
I worry about my dad - he's 71. He's in good health but he's got this 24/7. Mum doesn't sleep well. She goes to bed about 8 o'clock but is then up at about 5, so he doesn't get much rest. My brother and I both work full time so can't give as much support as we would like to.
Generally mum's not too bad, but we've noticed recently that she's like a dog with a bone once she gets an idea in her head. Mum's never been one to argue or be contrary but this is now becoming a frequent thing.
I worry about what the future holds for us all. I don't know how this is going to affect mum, how quickly she will deteriorate. Will she forget who I am?
Mum has always been there for me, in good and bad times.
Sorry for the long post, think I've been holding in my thoughts and feelings for a while :(

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi.

Welcome to TP.

I am sorry to hear about your mum, she is the same age as mine. It is very worrying to know what will happen in the future, and I am afraid I can't give you the answers for that. We just try and take every day one step at a time and treasure the lovely moments that we have.

I and my sister, like you and your brother work full time, and it is very hard not being able to be with mum 24/7. My mum lives on her own, and this is hard too, but we have just put a carers package in place for an hour each morning 5 days a week.

You will really find this site helpful. We are all here for each other through good and bad times.

Keep posting, and I know you will get lots of support.

Take care of yourself
Love
Michele
xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi mummysgirl, welcome to TP.:D

It is scary, because you have all these questions, and no-one can give you answers, because everyone progresses in different ways, and at different speeds.

I do know that if you stay with this forum you will find a tremendous amount of advice and support here. My journey has beed different from yours, but there are lors of members in a similar position to you.

In fact, I'm more like your father, it's my husband who has dementia. Would your dad join the forum too? He's find it supportive as more problems begin to arise. Quite a lot of us are caring for spouses.

All the best,

Mummysgirl

Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for your replies, it's a nice feeling to know other people are experiencing the same things as yourself.
Went to see mum today and she was in a really chirpy mood - she actually looked quite well, not too repetitive either which is a bonus!:)
I will ask dad about joining as he's recently become a "silver surfer" but he's a very quiet man who generally doesn't discuss things with anyone outside the family, so not sure if he will like the idea.
Every now and then mum mentions hearing people singing, she did it again today. Is this a common thing?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
he's a very quiet man who generally doesn't discuss things with anyone outside the family, so not sure if he will like the idea.

That's exactly why TP might be ideal for him, Mummysgirl. He can be as anonymous as he wants to be, and talk about things he wouldn't care to discuss with family or friends.

Do get him to give it a try, show him this thread for a start.

Sorry, can't help with the singing, but I'm sure someone will have experienced it.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Mum used to hear brass bands playing in the distance, and oddly enough, when I am very tired, I also hear brass bands playing in the distance!!!!

Margaret

Angel74

Jan 23, 2010
Sheffield
Hi I'm new to talking point too.my mum was diagnosed with a the early stages of alzheimers about 3-4 months ago and already we've noticed a big change and the speed at which she is deteriorating.my sister still lives at home with my parents and helps when she can but she works full time,my dad works shifts although he has been doing more night shifts so that my sister is there when he's working.I help where I can,My mum sometimes comes to my house if my dad has to work days.I have a family too my youngest being 18 mnoths so I can't be there all the time and i don't live nearby.Its very hard seeing someone you love go down hill so rapidly and theres nothing you can do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56