mums bad toe

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how much a chiropody visit to a CH costs? Mums diabetic and her toenails need cutting.

The reason I ask is that her "pocket money" amount doesn't go far, she's had two vists to the GP, £10 each time for taxi,and I'd like to have some idea what charge is likely so I don't embarrass myself by looking horrified!:eek:

Lin x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Lin, have you tried asking the home what arrangements they have for nail-cutting/chiropody?

My mum's home had a visitng Chiropodist who charged, I think between £15 and £20 per visit, but that was over two years ago.

Your mum should be entitled to NHS chiropody but I know this is sometimes patchily provided with long waiting lists.

geum123

May 20, 2009
Hi Lin,:)
My Dads in a nursing home and pays £8.00 for the chiropodist who visits every 7-8 weeks.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Thankyou, Deborah and Guem.

I think maybe you get better value in Wales.

Whenever I ask about anything at the CH, it's always, "no problem, we'll sort that out", but somehow it doesn't get done and I'm once again in "nag" mode.

I'll go armed with my list tomorrow and see if I can collar someone :)

Lin x

AndreaJane

Mar 16, 2011
Staffordshire
Hi there, my mums care home has a chiropodist that comes in every 6 weeks or so. He charges £12 a visit if he is attending to see a group of residents. If we have to call him in on any other occasion it is a bit more - £25. She is always worrying about her feet so she is permanently on the list for when he visits!

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Have you asked at Mum's GP? My Mum's has a visiting NHS one so of course it's free, Mind it gets booked quickly and it is limited frequency but even so....Now that Mum is blind though and needs her nails cutting because I cannot bring myself to do it for her, she has a private one who charges £25 for nails and to treat a corn!!!

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Hi thanks for all the advice.

In the end,after much fruitless discussion, Husband and I drew lots and he lost, so I went to rustle up some tea and left him sitting at mums feet with the nail clippers.

I came back to hear mum telling OH, he had to be careful as if he cut her nails too short she would have to go to hospital and have her toe cut off or she would bleed to death:eek:

I'm gonna have to stop her watching Holby!!

The nails look better except for one we wouldn't touch, it looks like a fungal infection and we've got an appointment with the GP on Monday (that'll be fun, her retinal eye check is the same day,so she'll be REALLY happy):rolleyes:

Lin x

Last edited:

geum123

May 20, 2009
Goodness,
I hope the chiropodist in Wales doesn't see this thread.
She may just decide to put her fees up.:D:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband used to have NHS Chiropody treatment as a diabetic at the local health centre.
When he went into the home it was out of area so there were problems with the NHS.
He now has the Chiropodist who visits the home every 6 weeks to attend to all residents and we are charged £8

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
My mum is charged £30 !!!:eek:

I hope you don't get charged that much.

You can self refer to podiatry through your local health centre - but there is usually a long wait and in our area you have to have an underlying health condition.

Good luck x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My neighbour used to have a chiropodist visit him at home and he was charged £38 per visit.

I suppose it depends on how many people practitioners are coming out to. If they are visiting and treating a group it should be much cheaper than if they are visiting a single person.

But £30 sounds extortionate.

lemoncrunch

Sep 29, 2009
devon
Hi Lin. Now that your brave hubby has cut her toenails, it gives you time to pester the care home for the next visit. We were charged £17. Mum has only had one visit and the care home organised it without having to ask. Mind you, someone there gives all the ladies a manicure and they always have their nails nicely painted whenever I go. Haven't had a bill for that so don't know if it is done by one of the carers or a volunteer. Sweet gesture though.