1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. barmby

barmby Registered User

Nov 6, 2006
    Hi..My mum has been in hospital since a week last Friday..She was admitted with Diarrhoea and Abdominal distention...They booked a CT scan a week last Monday and she has not had it yet...It seems along time to wait..In my experience as a Nurse when a CT scan was ordered they would usually have it the same week...If She doesnt have it this week then she has waited two weeks...She has Alziemers,late stages,and is very frail....Is this normal to wait this length of time...

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    They STILL haven't done it? Either it needs to be done, or it doesn't, and if it does, it should be done now. You need to start complaining (formally). It's unconscionable that they should leave an elderly person in pain and distress for this long, and you need to TELL them that. This is definitely a situation where you and your family need to be very proactive. The first stop in making a complaint is your hospital's PALCS department I believe (check your local PCT web site).

Jennifer

3. MJK

MJK Registered User

Oct 22, 2004
    Hi,

It's usually called PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) ,and I've found them very helpful in the past when I've had problems with a hospital.

mjk

4. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Thanks MJK - a brain slip on my part (my son's school is called PALCS):)

Jennifer