Mum won't survive much longer like this. Can't believe how fast this has happened :'(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss @nick97. How poignant that she hugged you - you will always have this to remember. I’m glad she was peaceful.

Thinking of you and wishing you strength.

Suze99

Nov 8, 2020
I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Glad your mum's passing was peaceful. Thinking of you and your family.

Mobbin17

May 25, 2020
Sending my love and prayers to you , how wonderful that you had that last hug . My Mum is very poorly in her care home and we do know that the end is very near . The most awful time in this awful time x

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Thanks to all ?

I'm just so glad that I kept mum in her own bed where she was warm and comfortable; the Community Team unilaterally decided to erect an air-filled hospital bed in the living room - which is bleedin' huge! - after suggesting mum might be more comfortable there, even in spite of my reservations.

Though I guess the thought of mum being bundled downstairs by the transport team and then put in a cold living room made it an easy decision. Still, I'm so happy I stood my ground on that and kept mum in her bedroom, even when the transport team turned up to move her.

Though now I have to wait until at least Monday for this outrageously huge bed to dismantled and carted away ??

Last edited:

Andy69

Feb 21, 2021
Guildford
Mum deteriorated a lot over the past week, and is now not drinking or eating. If I try to offer her something, she just pushes it away. She spends most time in bed now and can only just about walk. While the nurses who came out today didn't/wouldn't confirm EoL, mum is not going to survive much longer like this.

It's so difficult to process, as it's happened really quickly. I read about sometimes the PWD rallies, but I'm not hopeful.

Watching my mum try to speak is just so devastating.

The nurses did talk about mum going to the respite centre for two weeks to check her over but... I declined, as I wanted mum to be at home in her own bed where she's comfortable. I think it was the right decision... at least I hope so.

I'm just struck by how fast this has happened - as it has to many who have posted in the EoL section. It's literally unbelievable ?
I have just been through the identical situation.My thoughts and prayers are with you.

solost

Mar 2, 2021
Well that took a little longer than I expected, but mum has gone now ?

Very peaceful though; she drifted in and out of consciousness, but pulled my face towards her body and hugged me in her final hours so I think/hope she still recognised me at the end. At least she's at peace now ?️
I am so sorry for your loss. Yes, your mom is at peace now. I recently lost my mom, too, and she went very fast, too.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @solost
a warm welcome to DTP
so sorry to hear about your mum ... my condolences

I hope you'll keep posting for support