Mum won't see doctor with injury

Guiness

May 26, 2015
Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers couple months ago. She has injured her wrist somehow 2 days ago and is in some pain with it but is refusing to go to doctors whatever I or my dad or sister say to her. She would be reliant on us to call to make an appointment and take her there but is being as stubborn as an ox. What do we do when we feel she needs medical attention but won't agree?. We are in the process of finalising powers of attorney but it isn't completed yet. Even if it was how would that help?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
How about getting a doctor to see her at home? Don't tell her about it beforehand, then appeal to her sense of hospitality ("he's come all this way, you could at least offer him a cup of tea." Cue doctor: "you seem to have hurt your hand, mind me having a look?")

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers couple months ago. She has injured her wrist somehow 2 days ago and is in some pain with it but is refusing to go to doctors whatever I or my dad or sister say to her. She would be reliant on us to call to make an appointment and take her there but is being as stubborn as an ox. What do we do when we feel she needs medical attention but won't agree?. We are in the process of finalising powers of attorney but it isn't completed yet. Even if it was how would that help?

Hi Guiness, welcome to TP
I'd get the doctor to come to her, I know some are reluctant to make house call but under the circumstances failing to help you could be negligence on their part.
I'll have you a bet that when the doctor arrives she'll suddenly have a miraculous recovery. I'll bet you a pint of Guiness on it:)
K

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
When I can't get mum to the surgery, I always arrange a home visit-she loves it, makes her feel very special. If there is a fracture her gp might be able to persuade her to go for an xray.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I agree with suggestions of a home visit, making it social by offering tea or refreshment, and then allowing the doctor to take the lead. My mother will often be more compliant for "official" people (doctors, nurses) than for me.

If that's not possible, perhaps take her to an appointment on pretext of it being for you, and then "while we're here, can you check Mum's wrist?"--all pre-arranged with the surgery.

Guiness

May 26, 2015
Thanks everyone. Setting up a home visit sounds the way to go. We'll see how she is in the morning and call the gp. She has aways been stubborn but never like this.