Mum wont get out of bed

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
She feels too wobbly on her feet although manages to go to the toilet ok. Could it be a bit of depression stemming from the alzheimers or has she just lost confidence. Dont know what to do to get her out of bed. Shes quite happy to have her dinner in bed.

Tim

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
She has two frames one upstairs and one down, but for some reason seems to prefer a stick of which she has two. Could be that it is cold and she prefers the warmth of bed or another reason, I am not quite sure.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
It is really risky to leave someone in bed for too long if they are mobile because very very quickly they will become immobile. I think you are right and she has lost confidence. Can you have a word with the GP and get a referral to a Falls Clinic - they have little low level exercise groups to build confidence and get people back on their feet - but it may take a while. I would also ask for a referral to a physio just tell him she has lost all confidence and you don't want her to lose her mobility.

When my Ma fell and had a hip operation i went in a walked her several times a day and until she died we walked her down the road good days and bad. It takes some work to build confidence, keep confidence and keep mobility. There are lots of people out there who aren't walking not because they can't physically but because they can't mentally.

I would probably try telling her that the doctor says she must get out of bed for part of the day even for a couple of hours around dinner and then try to make sure she potters while she is up, if you try to keep her up too long she might feel sad and unwilling so gradually get her going - it is tempting to stay in bed in the warm though I can see her point!!!

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Well she was out of bed today, at 5am knocking on the front door shouting for help, then when I got up she decided to watch tv. I sat up for an hour and she seemed lesss distressed so I went back to bed. After a couple of hours she went back to bed and has been up again since 1pm.

Some skewed thinking this afternoon but seems ok now and has been pottering about with her frame, but still in her nightie.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Mum seemed totally sane today and like her old self, laughing at the dog rolling on his back and generally taking an interest in TV, not that there is much on.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Mum not too bad during the day, normal conversations were had but later on she could not remember where she slept last night and thought a younger lad had not come down for his tea and was still in bed. Seems to be when the sun sets and she begins to get tired.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet