Mum won’t leave dad for a minute

Sueros

Nov 1, 2020
Hi, any advice on how react/respond to this behaviour please. Mum has severe Alzheimer’s and constantly asks dad, “come on we are going to bed” as soon as he goes “ come on we are going into another room” he has tried distraction, ignoring and just saying no. She can become verbally aggressive and he is becoming exhausted!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Sueros
Unfortunately it’s common for people to become clingy with dementia. I’d ask tgevagP to review medication.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
As @Cat27 says I would definitely get the GP to review the medication. They may be able to add a medication to make your mum more relaxed.
In addition to this perhaps the GP could consider if she has any other health ailments that could be making her feel very tired. Example heart failure makes people breathless and very tired.
I just wonder if she wants to spend more time in bed? Bed is ‘safe’ and warm. If you are feeling tired it can seem to be a refuge for some people. ( My mother is one)!
I love @GrannieG ‘s compassionate communication. It might be worth printing for your dad.
I am sure he has tried it ! but I can’t remember using the word ‘ no’ in recent history, everything is ‘later’!