Mum won’t accept anything is wrong

Peterwhite123

Dec 26, 2019
Hi,
We are very worried as my mum is showing signs of early stage dementia.
When asked if she is ok, she has responded aggressively that nothing is wrong.
Has anyone got advice on this matter, as we don’t want to delay in starting any medication etc if the diagnosis is affirmative.
Many thanks
Peter

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @Peterwhite123
I think contacting the GP is the best way forward. Include as much detail in the letter/email as possible.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of advice & support here.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome from me too @Peterwhite123

Your idea of getting your mum and dad there for a general health check is a good one. There are other, easily treatable, conditions which mimic early dementia so it's definitely worth checking this out.

As @Cat27 suggests include as much detail as you can when you contact the GP so s/he can take it from there.

Peterwhite123

Dec 26, 2019
Hi Cat27 and Bunpoots,
Many thanks for your responses.
Does anyone have any experience of this?
Many thanks.

Last edited:

mags2020

Dec 24, 2019
Hiya,
Yep, you're basically describing my dad here. The advice I was given is to write to the GP with all the info you can provide (like a diary of what you're noticing or similar) and then hopefully the GP will take it from there. This is what I'm doing right now. I'm hoping it's not dementia but tbh i think it might be. Dad gets really annoyed when I suggest a Drs visit, says there's nothing wrong and can get quite angry and aggressive. Good luck with it. This forum is amazing for help and support btw. Xx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Lots of members have had to ask their loved ones GP to go along with a little subterfuge to get them checked out and most GPs are happy to do this under the guise of a health check. Health checks are standard practice these days so it's a way to get the person there without them suspecting anything.

Peterwhite123

Dec 26, 2019
MagsStark and Bunpoots - many thanks for your advice.
I will keep the group informed on how we get on.
Very Best Wishes