Mum with mixed dementia

Hawrk

Aug 6, 2022
Hi all , I care for my mum who has mixed dementia, been reading a lot of the positive advice and this has made me join, sometimes need support n so far got a lot with what I’ve read , so thankyou. My mum is my best friend as well as my mum, it’s been so hard to watch her loose who she is and I have to realise the things she says are not my mum , which I find very hard n I do get frustrated but I’m getting there , she has short term memory and she calls me time n time again in a day but to her it’s the first time n it’s trying to remember that but getting there, but it does wear you down , thanks for listening the site has already been a great help for me.

Hawrk

Aug 6, 2022
Thanks for the reply , never done anything like this before , so my mum has mix dementia like I said , she’s 78 years old and had dementia for about 6 years or should I say diagnosed 6 years ago, she has changed so much n it’s been hard to watch, she does really well , still lives on own n still can do quite a lot of stuff , it’s her forgetting what ever has happened that day , hour or sometimes minutes gone by.Like she says , she will never make new memories, but she’s got bloody good old ones, lol. My main issue is the constant phone calls in a day and I try so hard to understand but sometimes I do snap at her , then I feel really bad , she forgets I’ve been over , taken her out n then says I do nothing for her , which that floored me when she first said it but I’m getting used to that as well , sometimes I just feel alone , my husband is great n I have a couple of friends that totally understand , but when I found this forum it gave me a lot more hope , so again thanks .

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Welcome from me too @Hawrk

I am sorry to hear about your mum but glad that you have had the courage to write about it here.

You will find that Dementia Talking Point is a safe space to express your feelings, ask questions and get helpful suggestions from people who know what living with dementia really means.

I hope that you benefit from the support of our members, as much as I have since first coming here more than 5 years ago.

Hawrk

Aug 6, 2022
Hi all , sorry not been on in along time , but need some advice please .Mum has lost her dog last week , he was only 8 years old n over the last 12 months she had been over feeding him n feeding him human food , I tried with notes everywhere , writing on white board , ringing her etc but she over fed him n it came to liver failure n other problems , she overdosed him with tablets , he was ok , but made me realise my mum wasn’t looking after him n she loved the dog but he has been gone a week n she is wanting another dog , I cannot say yes as it will all land on me but my brother seems to think it will be good for mum but not him looking after the dog , please any advice would be great full Thankyou in advance Hawtk

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
You’re right — don’t get another dog now! The problems will only multiply and it could be really life threatening to any dog (Obviously and sadly it was). And who will take the dog as your mom‘s dementia progresses?

I‘d suggest telling your brother the above in no uncertain terms. You can also say that you all need time to grieve for the dog (a week’s time is not very long).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024