• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Mum with mixed dementia

Hawrk

Aug 6, 2022
Hi all , I care for my mum who has mixed dementia, been reading a lot of the positive advice and this has made me join, sometimes need support n so far got a lot with what I’ve read , so thankyou. My mum is my best friend as well as my mum, it’s been so hard to watch her loose who she is and I have to realise the things she says are not my mum , which I find very hard n I do get frustrated but I’m getting there , she has short term memory and she calls me time n time again in a day but to her it’s the first time n it’s trying to remember that but getting there, but it does wear you down , thanks for listening the site has already been a great help for me.

Hawrk

Aug 6, 2022
Thanks for the reply , never done anything like this before , so my mum has mix dementia like I said , she’s 78 years old and had dementia for about 6 years or should I say diagnosed 6 years ago, she has changed so much n it’s been hard to watch, she does really well , still lives on own n still can do quite a lot of stuff , it’s her forgetting what ever has happened that day , hour or sometimes minutes gone by.Like she says , she will never make new memories, but she’s got bloody good old ones, lol. My main issue is the constant phone calls in a day and I try so hard to understand but sometimes I do snap at her , then I feel really bad , she forgets I’ve been over , taken her out n then says I do nothing for her , which that floored me when she first said it but I’m getting used to that as well , sometimes I just feel alone , my husband is great n I have a couple of friends that totally understand , but when I found this forum it gave me a lot more hope , so again thanks .

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Welcome from me too @Hawrk

I am sorry to hear about your mum but glad that you have had the courage to write about it here.

You will find that Dementia Talking Point is a safe space to express your feelings, ask questions and get helpful suggestions from people who know what living with dementia really means.

I hope that you benefit from the support of our members, as much as I have since first coming here more than 5 years ago.