Mum with dementia - Amazon Show

Janeef

Jun 28, 2019
I’ve just joined this forum and I wish I’d found it earlier having cared for my mother-in-law and father-in-law for at least five years who both had dementia. Sadly my mum has also a diagnosis, lives on her own and seems to be progressing quite rapidly.To make matters even worse she lives four hours away from me. She lives on her own has carers three times a day but is struggling to use the phone, leaves it off the hook etc. Our phone calls were getting shorter as she struggled to understand me or would wander off and leave the phone off the hook until I contacted carers to sort it out.I wanted to let members know about the Amazon Show we have just purchased. This is a simple device working with her Wi-Fi and it enables us to video call her without her having to press any buttons or a member to do anything at all. As long as she is in the room where the show is I can then drop into her at any time. The picture quality is brilliant and the sound is good bracket she is quite deaf so so I’m just to hear it.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Thanks for this information.

There seems to be some new advances in technology which might help me support my mum to live independently but they all rely on wifi - which my mum does not have! My siblings and I are still trying to work out how to install broadband at her house without her knowing - as she will interfere with any new equipment she sees! We cannot find a place to hide the router thingy in a place close to a socket and /or outside wall where it will be out of her sight! A plug in connector is not suitable for the technology we are looking at ie camera doorbell so we are thwarted!

Janeef

Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for this information.

There seems to be some new advances in technology which might help me support my mum to live independently but they all rely on wifi - which my mum does not have! My siblings and I are still trying to work out how to install broadband at her house without her knowing - as she will interfere with any new equipment she sees! We cannot find a place to hide the router thingy in a place close to a socket and /or outside wall where it will be out of her sight! A plug in connector is not suitable for the technology we are looking at ie camera doorbell so we are thwarted!

Sounds very familiar! Fortunately we had wi fi before dementia and Mum is quite trusting, though I can imagine your difficulties. Mum is in an isolated area and relies on wi fi for measurement of oil tank levels whereas before she would have had to read the meter. We have installed a “nest “ controller for heating and now the wonderful Amazon Show. The problem I find with Mum is that she seems to be deteriorating faster than we can find answers to the problems, I’m sure a familiar theme! Do persevere with the wi fi, there’s lots of helpful tech out there.