Mum with dementia has a UTI

Kaos012

Feb 19, 2019
Hi everyone, My mum is 90 and has unspecified dementia. She gets confused sometimes, which I can cope with but at the moment has a urinary tract infection which she has had for almost 4 weeks now. She's on her 2nd dose of antibiotics and is coming to the end of them but she is extremely confused, muddled, says strange things and has been crying all the time. I'm worried as it's not like her, I presume it might be the infection. The nurse at the nursing home she is in, say that she must finish the antibiotic course, but they haven't worked. She only has one day left on them. It breaks my heart to see her so confused, I really hope they can find something to make this nasty UTI go away. Has anyone else experienced this with their elderly mum before?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, a UTI can cause this downturn and recovery can bring a return to the previous level.

Infections can be stubborn in people with dementia so it can take a few courses of antibiotics to clear them.

I hope your mum recovers quickly.

Kaos012

Feb 19, 2019
Thankyou. It's horrendous seeing my mum like this so I hope some new antibiotics will shift it. I just want my old mum back, I'm worried that she won't be back to normal.