Mum with broken arm

mumsgothelp

Jan 8, 2016
POOLE DORSET
Hi, my 80+ mum has vascular dementia & collapsed before Christmas resulting with a broken arm and she was admitted to hospital with this and a serious UTI. Whilst in hospital she contracted hospital acquired pneumonia. I am pleased to say her chest infection and UTI have cleared up apparently but she is unable to keep her arm in silly sling provided which adds to her pain. She also now has very painful mouth condition which means she is having difficulty eating and swallowing anything and is very weak and can't stand on her legs.
I would like to mention here that although know one wants their loved ones in hospital any longer than absolutely essential it appears to me that some staff will do almost anything to get our loved ones discharged regardless of whether they are ' medically fit' enough or not, I am just wondering if other carers may have experienced similar feelings? She is being transferred to a intermediate nursing home and I just hope she gets enough essential care. Anybody with any tips I would be very grateful.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I agree entirely with you about hospitals being desperate for beds and discharging elderly patients a little too early and even discharging when the patient is clearly not well enough to be discharged anywhere!

However I have seen some excellent rehabilitation into temporary residential accommodation with lots and lots of input from hospitals physiotherapists and such like which has indeed got the patient up and back where they were prior to the admission into hospital.

Good luck with your mum and do watch out for more UTI's whilst she is recovering her strength.

xxTinaT

mumsgothelp

Jan 8, 2016
POOLE DORSET
Mums broken arm

Many thanks for response. I feel uplifted by your comments regarding intermediate care, I hope to look forward to seeing her smile again soon, regards
I agree entirely with you about hospitals being desperate for beds and discharging elderly patients a little too early and even discharging when the patient is clearly not well enough to be discharged anywhere!

However I have seen some excellent rehabilitation into temporary residential accommodation with lots and lots of input from hospitals physiotherapists and such like which has indeed got the patient up and back where they were prior to the admission into hospital.

Good luck with your mum and do watch out for more UTI's whilst she is recovering her strength.

xxTinaT