Mum with Alzheimer’s suffering with delirium and constantly talking to herself

Ang272

Dec 19, 2019
Hi all,
I’m new to this forum, but I’ve been reading through some of the posts and it’s been so eye opening to see so many people going through similar things.

Mum was diagnosed this September with Alzheimer’s although I had suspected this for a while. She’s only 63 and lives on her own. I’m an only child, with a young daughter and currently pregnant with my second.

Since last Sunday she has been suffering really badly with hallucinations, she stayed at mine on Monday night but was up from 4am-7am shouting and crying that someone was trying to break in. My husband has been staying with her at her house to keep an eye on her since Tuesday as it didn’t make sense for her to wake my daughter up every night if she stayed with us.

She’s convinced she can see/hear her sister constantly spreading rumours about her and slagging her off. I’ve had to delete my aunts number from her phone to stop her harassing her in the middle of the night.

She is currently going out to the balcony (she lives on the top floor of a flat) shouting over the side at her ‘sister’ and every time my husband tells her to come back inside because it’s cold and wet, she threatens to jump and kill herself. She tells me she can constantly hear her sister talking about her and it’s driving her to the brink of suicide.

I don’t know if this is a hearing voices thing is a common effect of Alzheimer’s or if it’s just her experiencing delirium.

I am currently waiting for an ambulance service to take her to a&e, I know that sounds extreme, but she has been threatening suicide intent and it’s so worrying. I’m at my wits end, and no one seems to want to help.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hello @Ang272 , welcome to Tp from me , I don’t have any experience or knowledge about what you are going through I’m sorry , but I didn’t want to read your post and say nothing . I’m sure more experienced members will reply soon. I can empathize though, it’s sounds a very difficult situation and very hard on all of you . Hope you get some help soon . Take care and keep posting .

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
You've done the right thing - she needs a secure place to be assessed by medical experts. Intent to commit suicide imminently is a 999 and A&E admission.

Please keep us updated.

Ang272

Dec 19, 2019
Hey,
Thank you for replying. Just an update on mum, she’s still in hospital, a bit rubbish seeing as it’s Christmas today, but it really is the safest place for her right now. It’s the first time in a week I’ve been able to sleep without constant worrying!
They’re performing MRI scans and a lumbar puncture to see if they’ve missed an infection. However the consultant said it may just be a case where this is how she will be from now on unfortunately, constantly hallucinating and delusional.
Hopefully this will speed up getting her some kind of carer/social worker rather than trying to go through the local council, which proved to be fruitless.
Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas x

Yardman

Dec 14, 2019
Hey,
Thank you for replying. Just an update on mum, she’s still in hospital, a bit rubbish seeing as it’s Christmas today, but it really is the safest place for her right now. It’s the first time in a week I’ve been able to sleep without constant worrying!
They’re performing MRI scans and a lumbar puncture to see if they’ve missed an infection. However the consultant said it may just be a case where this is how she will be from now on unfortunately, constantly hallucinating and delusional.
Hopefully this will speed up getting her some kind of carer/social worker rather than trying to go through the local council, which proved to be fruitless.
Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas x

Yardman

Dec 14, 2019
My wife is also in hospital until at least Friday. Diagnosed earlier in the year with Fronto Temperal Lobe Dementia. I contribute to another page with the above FTL title. Iam fortunate that I have been able to set up in the last 2 days a self funded Care package at a local highly recommended Care Home. She. Will go there on discharge.
I sit here alone on Christmas Day for the first time in my life contemplating the future short and long term. Washing and preparing my wife's clothes etc for her move. So far the stress and upset comes in waves at different times of the day. I too have caught up on sleep and other tasks that have either been put off or delayed.
Today really means nothing. However there is support out there. I have joined a support group which has been invaluable. Run by volunteers who have all been Carers. How to cope and legal issues are helpful. Chats over coffee also have reaped tactics, information and knowledge that you are not the only on going on this long and troublesome journey. Yardman