Mum - will she pick up after bout of thrush?

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Big hello to everyone. I haven't been on the forum for a long time but have felt the need to return. My Mum has taken a big downturn (for her) - stopped speaking apart from odd word; not wanting to eat or drink; closing eyes most of the time; and just looking so unhappy for last few weeks. She has been treated for oral and vaginal thrush the last week and a half, so I realise this could be making her feel very unwell. GP called me last week to say the general concensus is that it is also a downturn in her condition and I was really fearing the worst. I'm going in to her Care Home every day and trying to feed her what I can with mixed results. Some days she has eaten some jelly, sometimes some custard, sometimes some yoghurt. It is a few teaspoons at most, and one teaspoon other times. She will either keep the food in her mouth forever or sometimes spit it out. She has even refused chocolate buttons! She used to have a good appetite until last few weeks, so has lost quite a bit of weight too. I'm finding the miserable look on her face so hard as she can't really tell me how she feels and I'm desperately trying to know what to say to her. I held her hand for a while tonight and always tell her I love her. But to be honest it feels like she is giving up and/or depressed. She has had Alzheimer's/Vascular dementia for about 9 years, in care for 6 and aged 86. Just so horrible to go and visit and come away feeling wretched and like I don't brighten her day anymore, like I used to. I guess it's a waiting game. Apologies for the long post. If anyone has any tips they'd be much appreciated. I know many of you will have been through similar. Thank u. G x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Oral thrush is very painful & unpleasant so once it's cleared your mum will hopefully begin to improve.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My mum went through a terrible time with oral, vaginal and nail thrush for about 3-6 + months. Once that was eventually cleared up, using a variety of fungal treatments and medical honey on her lady bits, it eventually has cleared up and she was less withdrawn and got involved with life in the care home again.

Her skin is now so sensitive, carers cannot use soap and water to clean her and use a medical wash which is prescribed and at this time of the morning I cannot remember what it's called..... Pro p....something - sorry I can't remember.

Mum gets thrush as a reaction to anti biotics so the carers and doctor start thrush treatment at the same time or maybe just after she has anti bios now.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum as at the same stage amber.
It is heartbreaking. Telling her that you love her and holding her hand is the best thing, Ive also collected some of her favourite CDs
((((hugs)))))

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Thank you! It is the first time I've really felt it could be the beginning of the end and it's been a bit of a roller coaster of emotions. Visiting is so depressing now she isn't happy. I come away feeling my visit didn't help one bit. But have to tell myself that her knowing I am there will be ok. I am also the only person she has visiting so will try and find the best way to keep comforting her. Although I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it does help knowing that others have experienced similar. The dementia journey is so horrible. Love to everyone. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Hi,
I don't know if this will help but when my Brother-in-law had oral thrush the doctor told us to give him some tinned pineapple, apparently it is a fungus cleanser.
He did suck on a little then we made it into a juice.
It seemed to ease it for him. I've never heard of it before. Anything is worth trying I suppose.

Rheme

Nov 23, 2013
England
My mum has had oral and vaginal thrush at the same time and with the proper treatment came through it. It is aweful to see your parent suffer through this.

Re the not eating and weight loss insist that the dieticians are called in. They can prescribe nutricia forticreme complete yoghurts/drinks which are meal replacements and will help with weight gain. They are small in voume but really do help with the weight issue. These can also be purchased on Amazon.

My mum has a docking station and ipod which has music from her generation along with radio shows e.g. hancocks half hour, the navy lark, round the horn, the archers, birds dawn chorus and buddhist relaxation music on it so she has a mix of music and speach.

Decorate your mum's room with fairy lights, pictures of her life and anything else you can think of to stimulate her senses and conversations in her room e.g. pictures of chimney sweeps, dustbin men, rag and bone men, trolley buses, things from your local area, etc.

Mum has a box for stimulation e.g. vicks vapour rub, mustard, tcp, coal tar soap, different fabrics, perfumes, herbs e.g. mint, sage, etc.

I give mum a massage every day which gives her the benefit of contact, conversation and skin integrety along with a facial cleanse and moisturise which relaxes her. Her skin is beautiful and not only makes her feel good and relaxes her but myself also and helps to make my visits less stressful. My mum's skin is awesome and many young girls would be so jealous. It is beautiful to see.

Good luck. x

Last edited:

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Thank you for your suggestions. Thought I'd update you on my Mum's situation now. She has been eating a little more, but takes more in the morning/lunchtime and not really interested at teatime. Yesterday, I was able to feed her a small bowl of soup, she would only take a spoonful of pureed main course, followed by half a pot of yoghurt, along with some sips of juice. She is up in the lounge in the mornings and generally going to bed again mid afternoon. I think she is very tired most of the time by then so guess she needs to rest. I feel she has improved a bit since I first posted, but speaks very little and still goes very starey-eyed when she is awake. This is quite a change for her, so I am just going to make the most of our time together. I can only do what I can with stimulating things to do. If she's not interested, I can only be with her and maybe listen to music. I usually find myself talking her to sleep!! I have tried to massage her hands but she doesn't like being touched which is sad, but again - no point in forcing these things. I worked out today that she has had Dementia going on for more than 12 years, so I feel that I need to be realistic about the future. I know this stage can last a long time for some, so who knows when there will be further deterioration. No one can answer that - I just want her to know she is very much loved and although I'm finding it hard, I will try to make her smile each day. That is the only thing keeping me going and lets me know she still knows who I am. X

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi - A few weeks on and I can happily say that Mum has slowly picked up a bit. She is brighter and speaking a little more. Eating soft foods and drinking sips of her drinks to help her swallow. She is smiling more again and although feeding at mealtimes takes 1-2 hours, I feel that we haven't lost her yet! She seems quite childlike really, but I can now see that she has improved a lot since I first posted. She is in late stages of mixed dementia, but I know this can last quite a long time sometimes - so just need to try and keep her stimulated as long as she allows it. The thrush seems to have cleared up according to the nurses - I never realised it would take so much out of her. I am so grateful to the carers and nurses at the home, they have been so supportive and reassuring. :)

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Hi - A few weeks on and I can happily say that Mum has slowly picked up a bit. She is brighter and speaking a little more. Eating soft foods and drinking sips of her drinks to help her swallow. She is smiling more again and although feeding at mealtimes takes 1-2 hours, I feel that we haven't lost her yet! She seems quite childlike really, but I can now see that she has improved a lot since I first posted. She is in late stages of mixed dementia, but I know this can last quite a long time sometimes - so just need to try and keep her stimulated as long as she allows it. The thrush seems to have cleared up according to the nurses - I never realised it would take so much out of her. I am so grateful to the carers and nurses at the home, they have been so supportive and reassuring. :)

Hello Amber 5 - just caught up with your post and I wanted to say how well you have coped through a difficult situation. Your support and reassurance must have reached your Mum alongside the nursing she received. Such a relief that your Mum has rallied round as thrush can be so debilitating.

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Morning Amber 5,
Try not to give Mum any sugar and sweet foods, I know this is easier said than done. Plain yogurt is good, but candida thrieves on sugar. That is all I can suggest. XX

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi
Sorry I have only just seen your kind and helpful words. Mum has continued to eat better and quicker, so clearly her swallowing is much improved. I know it is best not to feed sugary foods, and we do try. But on the other hand it is also tempting as she does seem to enjoy them and as she has very few pleasures left in life ..... I think the greek yoghurt with honey is a good compromise. It took a few weeks, but I am so happy to virtually have my pre-thrush Mum back, bless her. She is smiling a lot and interracting again. Special times. :)