1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Mum wants a tv in her bedroom

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Richierich, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Richierich

Richierich Registered User

Mar 6, 2013
    My mum has recently asked for a tv in her bedroom. We suspect this is a sign that things are getting worse. Does anyone have any thoughts/ experience that could help explain this?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Hi there
    I'm not sure that this alone would indicate a decline. I could see this as a positive that she is still interested in watching the TV but would like to do this in her own room some of the time
    I don't know your circumstances but perhaps she sees this as a bit of a treat ?x

3. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    It perhaps demonstrates your Mum needs to rest more and agree with Fizzie that despite that she is still interested in things and wants to remain so.

My only concern would be keeping it on too late at night if her sleep pattern is altered which would exacerbate the latter so if it was me would probably think about setting it up with a sleep timer so that it is out of action during the night.

Best wishes
    Sue

4. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Does your Mum live with you or alone? When my Mum was living alone she asked for a TV in her bedroom, which we provided. However, I'm not quite sure it was the right thing to do because ever since she's had it she started to stay in bed more and more until she was hardly ever getting up and dressed. Her muscle tone deteriorated to such an extent that she has problems walking now. Now we are all living together she still has a TV in her room so she can watch stuff she likes and we don't, and vice-versa, but I still have a job to get her out of bed a lot of the time. I'm not saying that a TV in your Mum's room is a bad thing, but I think it depends on the circumstances, just be warned what might happen.

5. stu100

stu100 Registered User

Feb 4, 2015
    Birmingham
    I would let ur her have to TVs in her room but keep an eye on it.

Stuart

6. Countryboy

Countryboy Registered User

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Cornwall
    It not uncommon to a TV in the bedroom we have for years in all bedroom tv,s are cheep enough now

7. meme

meme Registered User

Aug 29, 2011
    Female
    London
    watching tv from my bed with my electric blanket on is a joy...if it's cold I go to bed early......if your mother wants to do this then I would let her...could be a christmas present!!