Mum very poorly

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by jelba, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Mum got another lung infection and this time it's worse been sick very un responsive. Been in hospital since Tuesday eaten a bit of food also got spots on her back 10 hour shifts with her just got home know can't sleep doctor said she might not come back from it this time just hope tomorrow a better day

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) @jelba
    Its a horrible time.
    See what tomorrow brings - she might bounce back

3. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    I do sympathise, emotions are all over the place
    ((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))
    Take care of yourself

4. Stripey3

Stripey3 Registered User

May 29, 2019
    Hope your Mum bounces back, fingers crossed for you.

5. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Eat some food yesterday doctor coming back on Monday to see what the next step is still quite out of it on drip and antibiotics

6. Sharin

Sharin Registered User

Aug 30, 2019
    It's a horrible place to be.
    My mother is in same place as yours at the moment.
    Big hug to you.
    Xxx

7. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Thinking of you @jelba. It’s so difficult to watch & wait.

8. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    The waiting, watching, all the ups and downs and never quite knowing what is coming next, or when, is very stressful.

Thinking of you @jelba and I hope the doctor can throw some light on how things are when he/she visits tomorrow.

9. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Mum eat 2 meals and some drink yesterday doctor coming this morning to see mum perked up yesterday was more alert but still coughing a bit. Salt team said no more thickner in drinks as its not helping her lungs still got 2 days of antibiotics left thanks for all your help and kind thoughts

10. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    The district nurse is now on Dads case... but the emotional rollercoaster has taken its toll on me. SALT team & O/T hopefully will be going in at some point soon. Poor Dad still being left in lounge area to sleep in upright chair, but he’s on stronger pain relief- patches so small mercies!

11. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Female
    The strength of the human spirit is amazing and it sounds as if your lovely mum has turned the corner. Fingers crossed for you both and look after yourself xx

12. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Mum off drip salt team came and are happy with her going back to 2 thickner just waiting for the doctors to come

13. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    :)
    Mum did the same. She got a chest infection and ended up in hospital on a drip and IV antibiotics and I was told that she probably wouldnt survive, but she bounced back.
    The capacity for people with dementia to hang on to life amazes me.

14. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    Dad was the same 6 months ago, pneumonia, heart attack, stroke, 3 falls while in hospital for 3 weeks. We were called in one night to say goodbye. It was horrendous but he came home and is still here with no memory of that time at all.

He is happy while I am an emotional wreck. What will be next. I just don't know but it's not doing me any good.

15. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    Totally sympathise it’s not good for the blood pressure that’s for sure!
    If one more person tells me to chill out I’m going to not be responsible for my actions!!

16. Jale

Jale Registered User

Jul 9, 2018
    Female
    Infections are awful on PWD - like canary said my mum was really poorly and in hospital and honestly I didn't think she would come through it, but she did. I hope your Mum continues to improve

17. jelba

jelba Registered User

Aug 1, 2012
    Huddersfield
    Just a update mum back at care home had to wait 6 hrs for transport in hospital my dad and my mum mate going to see her today I feel very tired going back to work today everything is behind at home hard to keep up with everything didn't help someone stole my credit card details of the Internet as well last week just hope this week a better one thanks for all your help and lovely comments

18. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Oh no! How awful for you on top of everything else! Thinking of you.

19. DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
    My husband got his wallet pickpocketed the day before our wedding! Cheekily the so & so bought a bikini in Australia- we didn’t have a honeymoon as he had no cards, or access to money!
    He then asked me have you been buying swimwear from Australia.......
    Ummm - no!
    You’ve got to laugh....