Mum thinks virus is just an excuse....

Jayenne

Sep 9, 2019
....an excuse we're using not to visit her or take her out of her care home for a walk or car ride, and excuse for the carers at the home not to do the things she thinks they should (like activities etc) and an excuse for people like the local vicar not to visit her and so on. Everyone else has visits or goes out for the day except her apparently.

I just don't know how to explain to her - she hasn't been out and about since lockdown so hasn't seen masks, queues at shops etc. and really doesn't agree with being kept in against her will. How dare the government? Her Alzheimers is only mild at the moment so she can understand but without seeing this completely extraordinary world for herself it's very difficult to grasp. They had a case at her home so were shut in their rooms for a week which didn't help.

If anyone has any hints I'd be so pleased to hear. Thanks J.

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
....an excuse we're using not to visit her or take her out of her care home for a walk or car ride, and excuse for the carers at the home not to do the things she thinks they should (like activities etc) and an excuse for people like the local vicar not to visit her and so on. Everyone else has visits or goes out for the day except her apparently.

I just don't know how to explain to her - she hasn't been out and about since lockdown so hasn't seen masks, queues at shops etc. and really doesn't agree with being kept in against her will. How dare the government? Her Alzheimers is only mild at the moment so she can understand but without seeing this completely extraordinary world for herself it's very difficult to grasp. They had a case at her home so were shut in their rooms for a week which didn't help.

If anyone has any hints I'd be so pleased to hear. Thanks J.
Hi, my mum has advanced mixed dementia. I try and use examples like the winter flu and how it affects the elderly and vulnerable more severely, so to keep her and the residents/Carers safe, we cannot go in like we used to (mum had on average 3 different visitors everyday pre lockdown). It’s hard as she tells us on the bad days she feels all alone in the world, terribly sad for everyone. If you can relate the virus to an illness your mum would understand from the past it may help. Only you can judge if letting her see some of the factual news in relation to the current situation would help or cause her more distress. Good luck