Mum tested positive for Covid in Care Home

Peony21

Dec 27, 2021
My mum tested positive last Wednesday. The care home told Dad she would need to isolate in her room for 14 days, but she became distressed because she wanders along the corridors all day long. So, since one of her “friends” also tested positive they are allowing them both to wander the corridors together, while keeping them separate from other residents. Am so glad they haven’t tried to keep her in her room. I have asked about ECG status for my dad (who lives near the home) but they say due to his limited mobility he wouldn’t be able to provide the personal care someone with ECG status will be expected to provide. Due to the outbreak we’ve not seen her since Christmas Eve, though a pod visit is scheduled for 22-1 which seems ages away. Just trying to arrange a video call now. I imagine it will only be short, but better than nothing.
Hi @Bearz77,

My mum's also a wanderer and like yours, tested positive last week and got very distressed withtheisolation. The home has also been in lockdown since Christmas Eve and I'd been worried about how she'd cope. Can't say she's doing brilliantly, mentally, it does seem to be helping that they also allow her and a "friend " to wander in the corridors when no one's around ...especially evening. I never imagined that would happen and credit to the home for their resourcefulness in trying to minimise distress.

Hope you got that video call. Mum's got a mobile which is as much of a curse as it is a blessing! At least now she's in a home, I can turn it off without feeling terrified about what might happen to her. Take care.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My husband went into a care home on the 27-Dec, and tested positive a week later. The home is now shut for 2 weeks, but I can go and see him through his window, which is cold for the both of us. I think this will make him more confused, but he doesn’t have any symptoms, just tiredness. Just another thing to worry about though.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I am ECG for my mother and I do not offer any personal care, I provide companionship and emotional support. Today was my first visit as ECG and I sat in her room quietly watching tv with her for over two hours. I was able to encourage her to drink, sort through her clothes to find some favourites blankets and rub in some lovely smelling hand cream. It was so nice after months of seeing mum in a sterile reception area where she got very anxious and aggressive being in a strange place, today in her room she was content and calm.

She has just spent a week in hospital because she needed it antibiotics and fluids as she had been too poorly to eat or drink. My role as ECG was rushed through by the manager so I could welcome her home after the traumas of being in hospital - the ward were glad to get rid of her by all accounts!

If you live close enough to the care home to take part in the PCR testing with the staff then please apply, it really is worth it.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
The carers now think that mum might have oral thrush ( and I agree having had it myself many years ago) as her tongue is very furry, with spots on which are sore and she is very dry. She has not stopped drinking though which is positive, she will sip small amounts frequently, almost absentmindedly. So she has been referred to the care home doctor again!

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Saw my mum yesterday as she is not testing negative and has done the required isolation time. She’s “ok” but v thin and didn’t speak. She cried when I left though. I am finding this week tough. I had all of Christmas to they rid of! Which is a horrible job on the 24th Jan. took spring in bulbs and daffodils. Sorted through her clothes. Took her a magazine to read which she was quite taken with. She was in bed though.. wondering if this is a permanent thing. She seemed so frail.