Mum suddenly wanting to eat lots of biscuits

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi my mum has had a diagnosis of mixed dementia since 2009. She now has complex needs and is bedbound and in a nursing home. I've noticed her tastes in food seem to be changing- today she wanted biscuits and ate 4 in the space of 10 minutes and asked me to get some more for her and told me to get at least 2or 3 - I didn't, as they were due to have their tea soon but I told one of the carers that she had eaten them. Mum has also recently started gulping 4/5 glasses of water down her in 5-10 minutes. Other times she's not interested in food or any drink and has lost weight in the past year

I'm wondering is this new sweet taste and thirst something to do with her dementia. She was diagnosed 2 years ago with borderline diabetes and was hospitalised 2yrs ago with pancreatitis

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Change in tastes - and a craving for sweet things- does seem to be common in later stages of dementia. On the other hand, craving sweet things AND drinking more than usual in someone who has already had red flags raised about possible diabetes? I would be inclined to have a doctor check her out. It could be nothing, but let's put it this way: if your mum was younger and didn't have dementia, would you be concerned enough by the symptoms you describe on their own, coupled with her history of pancreatitis and potential diabetes, to get it checked? I think I would.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

nellen

Mar 17, 2009
Derbyshire
LadyA, That makes sense, it could be to do with her borderline diabetes. Its just I remember my mother in law in the months before she died suddenly developing a taste for lots of chocolate

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
LadyA, That makes sense, it could be to do with her borderline diabetes. Its just I remember my mother in law in the months before she died suddenly developing a taste for lots of chocolate
Yes, and my husband was eating three large Ice cream bars a day, plus a bowl of ice cream in the evening. On its own, I wouldn't be too worried about the craving for sweet things. But the sugar cravings coupled with the increased thirst is a possible cause for concern.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I don't know about the diabetes side but my mother suddenly developed a huge appetite and would eat far too much at one point in her dementia. This went on for a while but settled down again. However like many people with dementia she has developed a sweet tooth. She never had one before. I have to ration chocolates I give to her because if I left a whole box with her she would eat them all in one go.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pauline, the one I care for has changed her diet tremendously during past two years. No longer eats the foods she loved such as Sunday roast and chips no longer feature and favourite now is Corned Beef with everything plus bags of toffees and boxes of Tic Tacs. As for biscuits she leaves crumbs everywhere but denies eating that many. In our case definitely linked with Alzheimer's.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Given the medical history I would definitely get her checked out for diabetes ASAP. It could also be the dementia of course, but better to get her checked. Best wishes.

Lets_Stop_Time

Aug 23, 2015
No help on the diabetes but I think excessive thirst is a sign?
But we did notice with my MIL with the dementia and alzheimers her tastes suddenly turned to mostly sweet stuff. It did get to a point where my BIL was hiding any sweet foods and biscuits because she would polish off packets and packets and not want to eat healthier options.