Mum starting new medication (Lorazepam) - what to expect?

smudgedog

Oct 31, 2012
Hello everyone,

My mum who is in the mid stages of alzheimers is about to start new medication. Her current medication no longer seems strong enough and the doctor has prescribed Lorazepam (half a tablet twice a day). Does anyone have any points about what to expect please? I myself am a worrier about side effects of medication and adverse reactions and I am really hoping mum will be ok on it.

Many thanks

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Can only tell you about my mum, but I know there is someone on this forum well informed about this and other similar medication, am sure that person will add to your thread very soon.

Back in May my mum was very anxious and not sleeping, apart from Anti depressants her gp prescribed Lorazepam only and when needed half mg. It was good and dealing with the anxiety and helped mum to sleep, but it did make her unsteady so getting to the commode on time didn't happen. After a time, I did notice that day after taking mum was very confused and did some very odd things, as well as still being a little unsteady, but it helped her to sleep so continued with it. Now, she is taking Diazapam when needed and is so much better.

smudgedog

Oct 31, 2012
Tin,

Thank you very much for your response.

I did read incontinence could be a problem. I just worry it could be too strong for her or she will feel unwell taking it. She is a very thin lady. I suppose it will just be wait and see how she gets on.

Many thanks again for your advice.