Mum seeing doubles of people

Tracy222

Sep 9, 2015
Hi All,
My Mum is 66 years old and has altzimers. We have been and had some tests when she was 64 years old as this was when it was starting to show signs something wrong. But after a few tests my Mum has refused to go back. :( So we are just struggling on watching her disappear from the person she was.
I am wondering if it is normal for my Mum to be seeing us all as doubles. She refers to my Dad as 3 different people. Sometimes I am her daugheter but I am also someone she went to school with.She can get very angry if I correct her saying it is same person. Some days she is great and knows who everyone is and other days she is so confused and upset. I am worried about how my Dad is coping as he is main carer she is very nasty to him sometimes.
I can't get her to go back to doctor.

Thanks
T

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

When you say your mum is seeing doubles, do you mean she thinks that person A has been replaced by a duplicate of Person A, or do you mean she sees two people at the same time? It sounds like the former and there is a name for this: Capgras Syndrome. It's supposed to be rare, but I have to say I heard about several cases where the person has AD experiencing this. Have a read of this and see if it rings any bells.

http://psychcentral.com/lib/dementia-and-capgras-syndrome-handling-behavior-and-emotional-fallout/

Tracy222

Sep 9, 2015

When you say your mum is seeing doubles, do you mean she thinks that person A has been replaced by a duplicate of Person A, or do you mean she sees two people at the same time? It sounds like the former and there is a name for this: Capgras Syndrome. It's supposed to be rare, but I have to say I heard about several cases where the person has AD experiencing this. Have a read of this and see if it rings any bells.

Hi
Thanks for reply, it's had to explain she thinks we are different people but not seeing us at same time. So she will say there are 3 men for lunch make lots of food but there is only my Dad. But she will the say where have the others gone. I will have a look at the link.
Thank you

Tracy222

Sep 9, 2015

Hi
Thanks for reply, it's had to explain she thinks we are different people but not seeing us at same time. So she will say there are 3 men for lunch make lots of food but there is only my Dad. But she will the say where have the others gone. I will have a look at the link.
Thank you

Have read the link this is exactly what my Mum is showing signs of. Thank you very much for your help.
:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976