Mum rushed into hospital :-

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Well, everything was ticking along relatively smoothly - mum was seeming quite chirpy and then ... Sunday night, she suddenly started vomiting violently, and bringing up dark fluid. The home called the GP straight away, and two hours later she was in hospital. She's currently nil ny mouth until they have any idea what the problem is and looking very weak. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed, and wait for ore news before I visit again tonight.

Any kind words welcome right now.

Dave

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Dave, you must be in shock.

Obviously I can`t make any comment as I`ve no ides what could be wrong, but I just hope the medics will get to the bottom of it as soon as possible and your mother doesn`t suffer.

Please post an update when you`ve seen her.

Take care xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Dave

You can have kind words aplenty. You must be so worried, but do try to take care of yourself at the same time as taking care of your mother.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Dave,

I'm so sorry that this has happened to your mum, it must be such a shock for you. I do hope they find out soon what is causing the vomiting, and can treat it.

In the meantime, love and hugs for you.

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Thanks everyone

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and understanding - TP is such a splendid thing. No idea where we'd all be without it. (Worrying on our own, I guess.)

Just phoned the hospital again, but it's mealtime at the moment. Told to phone back in 20 mins so can get an update from the ward member looking after her. Concerned how much they're used to dealing with patients who also have dementia, although I did explain that to the Clinical Decisions Unit when she was first admitted. After previous experiences with hospitals (when she taken in for assessment), I find it hard to have a lot of faith. Thankfully a friend is a nurse at the hospital she's now in, so I can make an extra phone call tonight for advice.

I'll keep everyone posted and try to keep the lid on my nerves in the meantime: 'no news is good news' and all that ...

I hope you are all having a slightly less fraught day than me and live is treating you all well.

Dave

(And there's no icon for 'chewing my nails' in TP!! Or is that default mode! ;))

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Starting to feel a little better

Just spoke to one of the nurses on the ward - Mum is back on small amounts of fluids and was able to eat a small amount earlier today. There will be another doctor's review in the morning, and maybe I'll know something vaguely more then, maybe not. Who can tell? (Sorry, my postings are probably annoying the **** of several wonderful and professional nurses and doctors on here; no offence meant, just try to pass your standards on to all your colleagues for everyone's sake.) One last coffee and off to the hospital to see her.

I'll post an update once I have one.

Dave

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Best wishes Dave - I do hope things even out. Sometimes these things are major scares but they settle down again after.

Take care

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Dave

Everything crossed for you and mum that it turns out to be 'one of those things' and it all settles quickly.

I know how you feel about trusting the hospital staff to look after your mum, you just have to keep checking that they are not only looking after the 'physical' side of things, but take into consideration her total well being.

Keep us posted.
Love
Cate x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dave honey, just wanted to send you lots of 'positive' vibes.

Lets us hope that the next news is 'good'. Take care, love,

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Looking a little brighter

Hi everyone - really tired so I'll be brief. Mum looking a bit brighter tonight; they're still very cagey about letting eat or drink, so she's had about four tablespoons of salad and a cup of tea today, but it's improvement on nothing. And she kept them down too, which is good news.

She's got a nasty rattly cough and a bunged up nose, so I'm wondering if she had a nasty chest infection. Still no definite diagnosis, but she has a another doctor's review tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, but it was lovely to hear her laugh a ouple of times tonight - usually a sign she's feeling in better spirits. Grabbed a few things to take in for her tomorrow so she can comb her hair and have some nice face wipes, and she was very proud of her new nightie (my good taste gene obviously kicked in in John Lewis in a blind rush last night). And today we finally got the confirmation that the EPA is officially registered, so I can cross one thing off the 'should I be worried list'! And buy her nighties without worrying about the bloody money.

Thanks for all those best wishes, everyone - it's been the kind of week where they really mean a lot (it's been **** at work too, and for a happeth of tar I'd quite gladly sod off to a nice Buddhist monastery up a very distant hill right now, so thank you, all of you). Better go, as I've still got the ironing to do, god knows how many emails to write and ten songs to learn by Friday night. It never rains, eh? :)

Love to you all,

Dave

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
And you sound brighter too Dave, even if you are tired.
Thanks for the update, I hope your mother`s good spirits stay with her.
Love xx

rhallacroz

Sep 24, 2007
merseyside
keep positive

Hi Dave
Sorry to hear aboutyour mum. I know how you feel. I posted a couple of days ago about constipation and also about stress levels in us carers I was taking a few days out a rare event but had to come back tonight as my dad not well I think with constipation. He has had this before and vomitted dark fluid is your mum constipated might be related. Gosh they are such a worry isn;t it difficult holding down a job and for me being a mum and trying to keep a marriage going. I know women can multitask but sometimes even us mere mortals can;t see the wood for the trees. Life hard. Keep smiling we all feel the same way at some point on the journey. Do you care for your mum at home.
Keep smiling
A

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Dave,
We certainly get in our daily lived - one thing after another. I sincerely hope they are able to sort your Mum out. The fact that she is eating and keeping it down is a good sign. Good luck for the update from the Doctors. John Lewis boy are you a person after my own tastes. Take care of yourself.
Good luck with the songwriting. As we live in the same County what music do you do?
Ironing - I will help my two daughters out as they are full time working Mums' but I have a pile here!
My thoughts are with you and your Mum. Best wishes Christine

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Dave,

I am sorry to read that your mum is not well, but, it is pleasing to know that she is showing signs of improving. I hope that things continue

to improve. Take Care Taffy.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Dave, thanks for the update. I'm glad your mum is showing signs of improvement, hopefully it will continue, and she'll soon be out of hospital.

Well done for the nightie, we ladies do like to look our best for doctor's rounds!

Love,

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Dave,
Not been on TP so much lately, so sorry to learn that Mum is poorly, but glad to learn (as I got down the thread) that she is improving. Did the medics come up with any diagnosis for the vomiting or 'dark fluid'? Has she ever had a stomach ulcer or anything similar?

I hope she's fully recovered & able to go back to the security of her care home before she becomes too disorientated by the upheaval
(or catches something else :eek: - dodgy time of year for picking up bugs).

Best wishes

Dave W

Jul 3, 2005
Bucks
Getting there, I hope

Well, Thursday afternoon and Friday evening, Mum was retty incoherent, fairly delusional but slowly becoming calmer (as we worked out later, probably the result of a local anaesthetic wearing off after tess and kocking her sideways a bit). Over the weekend, she's pirked up considerably. We visited with a family friend today, and she's sat up, dressed and washed, and weary but cheerful. She's remembered where she is and she's looking forward to going 'home to Kathy and the girls' (the staff at the home). She may have a slight hiatus hernia - a camera down the throat was inconclusive, so she has a barium meal and an x-ray tomorrow morning (department my friend works in). Should have results by Tuesday, and then hopefully we ca get back to the home soon (as its her 77th birthday next Wednesday, and the staff and us and waiting to make a fuss of her for that, but we can have her birthday whichever day works best, as she's not sure when it is anymore). So, I'm a little more cheerful, hope the test tomorrow isn't too unsettling and we have a clear picture soon.

Peaceful night, everyone and I'll update you all again soon.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Good to see your post this evening - you sound quite positive and hopefully you will know more tomorrow.

Hope all goes well. Best wishes Jan