Mum retreating into herself, dementia worsening

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Mum now seems to be entrenched in her own world, muttering, reading what is not there, seeing people, and not too aware that I am really there now. She nods off quite a lot too now. What is happening in this phase? She is stable on medication and it is thought that her dementia, vascular and altzheimers is worsening, at least she isn't aggressive and trying to escape the nursing home anymore!

ferniegirl

May 10, 2015
Surrey, UK
Mum now seems to be entrenched in her own world, muttering, reading what is not there, seeing people, and not too aware that I am really there now. She nods off quite a lot too now. What is happening in this phase? She is stable on medication and it is thought that her dementia, vascular and altzheimers is worsening, at least she isn't aggressive and trying to escape the nursing home anymore!

Sorry to hear your mum is worsening. My mum is sleeping a lot too. When I visit her it seems that loads of the residents sleep a lot so it seems to be part of it. At least your mum is not aggressive anymore and they have stabilised her. A year ago my mum was aggressive but she is quite sweet now. One thing we know is that the disease will gradually worsen and it is horrible for us to watch With best wishes.