Mum refusing meds with UTI

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Mum has been in care 20 mnths.
Following UTI’s this time a year ago, Mum declined massively.
Her agitation & anxiety through the roof, not eating, losing weight. It took a couple of months of finding what worked, but since August last Mum has been on Quetiapine. A few dose adjustments but since Nov has been on 50mg split between 3 doses a day.
Quetiapine has worked really well for Mum. A few ups & downs but overall best with least side effects.

In the last week Mums behaviour deteriorated rapidly... aggression, combative, refusing food.... but would alternate with being cooperative.
Carers suspected a UTI and spent 2 days trying to get a sample, and keeping her fluids up.
By 3rd day GP prescribed Trimethoprim, and they did manage a blood test.
By this time Mum was hitting, spitting, refusing meds, not sleeping at night.
By 4th day we saw Mental Health Nurse, and she switched Mums lunchtime Quetiapine added to bed time in the hopes it made her sleep at night.
Blood tests showed some type of infection so they have her on liquid antibiotics.
Day 5 they managed to get a urine sample but Mum is refusing all meds.
My sister saw Mum today. Mum didnt recognise her and she was delusional, highly agitated, walking backwards & forwards, not stopping still.

Tomorrow urine test should be back. I have a meeting ( Mums POA) with Dr & Head Clinical Nurse.
In 5 days Mum has only had half of her meds.
So theres a high chance of Mum being admitted to our main hospital Geriatric Psych Ward for assesment. Carers cannot manage her further unless a drastic improvement.
But how on earth do they cope from here with Mum on a drip, or staying in bed??

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I have seen it suggested that meds can be hidden in something sweet like yogurt or ice cream as these soft, sweet foods are often tolerated and a good hiding place.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum was admitted to hospital yesterday.
Urine test came back negative.
They now think there is something else and want to do a chest xray & possible head CT.
Mum has had Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia for 7 yrs.
Mum is still not eating, drinking, taking meds, she is agressive & highly agitated.... but on the ambulance ride and being admitted she was docile and cooperative and slept all night.
Mum was so agressive hitting carers & patients in the corridor they had to call security and they gave her a shot of Halperidol.
It had no effect.
They are deciding what to do as being a General Medicine ward they are trying to get to bottom of infection before transferring her to the Geriatric Mental Health Ward.
It’s a nightmare! :(