Mum referred to memory clinic

Pebblepebble

May 29, 2022
Thankfully the doctor responded to my letter and called my Mum for a health check. Asked her several questions (including about cataract operation) and at the end asked if Dad had any concerns and he mentioned the memory issues. Dementia and Alzheimers were not mentioned but she has now been referred to a memory clinic. What can we expect from this?

On a positive note, I had been concerned about the lack of cleanliness in the house and her clothes always looked like she had spilled tea down them. Since her first cataract operation last week she has suddenly realised how dirty things are and has started cleaning. I am taking that as a positive. I am going to go an help her each week which will give her some other social contact.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That’s good news @Pebblepebble.

My experience of the memory clinic was some time ago and in Scotland so I’m not sure how relevant it will be for you. I’ll share anyway!

My husband had to visit the memory clinic every 3 months after diagnosis. When he was there he was given the MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam) and I was given a questionnaire about how he was managing. Blood pressure etc was taken and at the end of the fairly short session he was given his prescription for Donepezil. His diagnosis was given after lengthy medical examinations memory assessments and scans at the local hospital.

As I say the experience of others on the forum may be different.