Mum - recently diagnosed

AndyL

Sep 2, 2015
My mum has been diagnosed with SVD & Alzheimer's, she has been put on aricept to see if this helps. However we have a problem as she can't remember if she has taken them, hides the packets and doesn't know how to open the pill reminder capsule. She doesn't think she lives in her house but is in a house that is exactly the same as hers. Her short term memory is appalling. My brothers and sister and I are all really concerned for her, I go round every day, but she is isolated and has trouble using every day items, and I don't think she eats properly. She seems to buy food for the people she thinks are at home, but in reality she lives on her own. We need to get some help, but have no idea where to start! Do we go to her doctor or contact a social worker? It's all well and good being given a diagnosis, but where do we go now? It would be so helpful if, when diagnosed, families were given advice on the next steps and not just given medication to see if it helps. This seems to be a horrible disease, with no answers. :confused:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi Andy
Sounds as though you all need support

You can phone Social Services Adult Care Duty Desk and ask for an assessment for your mum - if you ask for day care that should be an option - a day centre where your mum can go for lunch and activities. As well as our social services centre we also have Crossroads Day Centre where people can go for up to 3 days and it is also worth googling Dementia activities + your area to see what is going on. There is probably a fair bit but you need to search for it. Some care homes also do 'day care' which can be useful but I would try the day centres first

You can also ask for a carers assessment - this will give you a break and give you some 'free' hours of help possibly

It will be helpful for you to apply for Attendance Allowance - the forms are a bit tricky in that you have to imagine the worst possible day for mum and write down the help that she needs (not the help that she gets but what she NEEDS). Attendance Allowance is not means tested and you should get it, if you need some help with the forms come back and ask

I would strongly advise you to join your local carers organisation - they usually have a carers cafe (and so do Alzheimers society in some areas) and it is worth a morning off work to go and find out what help there is in your area over a cup of coffee.

The Dementia helpline is a useful number to have

lzheimer's Society National Dementia Helpline 0300 222 1122 can provide information, support, guidance and signposting to other appropriate organisations.

The Helpline is usually open from:
9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday
9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday
10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday
As is age uk

Age UK Advice line free national advice line that is open 365 days a year and takes in excess of 250,000 calls annually. To talk to someone, just call 0800 169 2081.

Sounds as though your Mum is going to need quite a lot of help and the earlier you get it started the better. you may want to pay someone you know well to give her her medication as this is going to be key in her Alzheimer's and you can't risk it not being taken.

I hope this helps, keep posting, thinking of you and your Mum

AndyL

Sep 2, 2015
Thank you Fizzie, will definitely have a look at these options. It's so difficult to know what is best to do especially as Mum thinks she is fine :(

Mandida

Jan 11, 2016
please repeat link

definitely it is hard as most people are understandably fiercely independent. Here is also a very useful link called compassionate communication - it will save you and your mum a lot of heart ache if you can start to use it from the beginning - do pass it around the family xx

May I ask you to upload that link again, as when I click on it I only get an error message.
It sounds really useful. Thanks!