Mum putting phone down without speaking

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
I call my mum on lunch club days to remind her. She has started picking the phone up then putting it straight back down without putting it to her ear or speaking. It's an old fashioned phone with receiver. She then thinks she has missed lunch club bus and pushes her panic button but again won't talk when they speak through the alarm box, or puts the phone down on them. They call me but by this time the bus has come for her and I have to cal lunchclub to check she is OK. We all work so can't be around lunchtimes.
Can anyone suggest ways to get her to at least answer the phone so we can talk to her?
She hates any newfangled modern things including white boards, memo pads, dayclock and certainly anything computerwise, and definitely no carer!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Can anyone suggest ways to get her to at least answer the phone so we can talk to her?
She hates any newfangled modern things including white boards, memo pads, dayclock and certainly anything computerwise, and definitely no carer!

Sounds like you need some sort assistive technology, but then that is ruled out as you said above your mother hates anything computerwise

So you're only option is a neighbour, friend to pop around to your mum at Lunch times so your mother does not miss her bus to day care .

Maybe someone else may pop into this thread with other idears

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You probably have come to a time when you have to do what your mum needs not what she wants, someone needs to be with her and make sure she is ready,safe and not panicking, it seems to be the only solution whether its family, neighbour, friend or carer,

Last edited:

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Would your mum accept a cleaner? Perhaps you could find someone who could come for an hour, do some cleaning and make sure your mum gets off to her lunch club safely at the end of it.

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for all your suggestions and help. She did answer the phone today. There was a problem with the phone last week and she thought it was still not working. But my SIL will take early lunch and pop in to remind her one day and I will do the other.
Neighbours won't help as she has upset them too often in past, but I will look at a cleaner or carer in the meantime.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
You probably have come to a time when you have to do what your mum needs not what she wants, someone needs to be with her and make sure she is ready,safe and not panicking, it seems to be the only solution whether its family, neighbour, friend or carer,

I agree. No amount of technology will work. Only a person prompting.

Not sure its fair to ask neighbours or friends.