Mum putting all sorts of things in the oven to cook

Tilster1205

May 25, 2022
Hi... my mum has dementia and seems to be deteriorating quite quickly. She thinks every day is Sunday and has started to wander to the shop for veg, so far has made it back home, and now she is trying to cook in the oven but is putting food in still in wrappers and boxes etc. Dad who also has dementia has no recollection of what she is doing. I have carers visit 3 times a day at the moment, but I am at a loss as to what I should do next... This is all strange to me as mum has changed over night after a fall..... I would really appreciate any advise. Thank you

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
have you ruled out an UTI as the reason for confusion and the fall? that can really knock them hard. it might be that they wont be able to use the cooker and get ready meals in and the carers can supervise this and heat it up.

Tilster1205

May 25, 2022
No UTI, she is checked regularly, I have had the oven disconnected so she can't use it, carers do cook their meals and know how to re connect, but now mum is extremely agitated as she cant turn oven on and doesn't understand why its been done. Thank you for your comments

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
My mother deteriorated considerably after a minor fall. Immediately after, half her memory vanished together with her cognition. She went from managing fine at home, undiagnosed, to needing a care home. We think - but don't know - that the fall was caused by a TIA, or perhaps the fall caused a TIA - no way of knowing. But it did cause a chronic sub-dural haematoma. This is a bleed in the brain that's not immediately apparent after the fall/bang on the head but comes on later. It is really, really common in old people and can happen following a rapid shake, bit of whiplash in the car, etc, - it doesn't have to be a bang on the head. So it often goes unnoticed.

Are your parents on their own at night? If so, it sounds a bit dangerous...