Mum positive for Covid in Care Home!

Sophie20

Jul 5, 2020
Hi all, just needed to get this out of my head so may be a ramble!

The world has just been so cruel for my 85 year old Mum this year, who was still an independent, mobile lady with plenty capacity in May. Then the TIAs started with increasing devastating damage to her mind and body. When discharged from hospital she received no follow up care. This resulted in a very steep learning curve for me to get the help needed for her and Dad. We struggled through for 4/5 weeks not knowing what the heck was happening to her until Social declared us in crisis and GP sent her back to hospital in at the end of June - that was the last time I gave my Mum a hug. She was passed around 5 different wards between 2 hospitals, discharged to a residential care home that weren’t equipped for her needs, she had 3 falls that night and was back in A&E 15 hrs after discharge. Eventually discharged to a nursing home that we had no choice about due to it being Covid funded. That was about 10 weeks ago (I guess!!)
So it’s been a bloody nightmare for us but thankfully, although Mum has been very sad, upset and confused by everything, she seems to be rallying lately - so much so that the plan is for her to come home with a comprehensive care plan, with follow up support from the falls team. We are just waiting for a final risk assessment on the new profile bed and everything is good to go. Mum is very much cheered by the thought of coming home.
While this has been sorted we got word there had been positive tests in 2 members of staff at the care home - which went into total lockdown again, first week in October. Then word of a case on Mums floor but didn’t know if staff or resident. Yesterday we got the call that Mum tested positive on last Wednesday along with 4 others on her floor. I’ve also heard that 12 members of staff have tested positive too so the home is a hotbed at the moment.
Arghhhhhh - we were so close to getting her out of there, being able to see her, spend time with her - give her a hug!!!
Although she is extremely vulnerable, she is showing no symptoms and seems to be in good form - but we are all extremely worried for her. We haven’t told her, we’ll have to make up some excuses as to the delay and just keep everything crossed that she stays asymptomatic and comes home after her quarantine.
I will be speaking to Care home manager today to see if they know how residents, that have been kept in their rooms isolating for nearly 3 weeks now, have got infected.
Told you it would be a ramble! But I do feel calmer now..................and still so very helpless.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Wow, every excuse to ramble, you have really been though the mill!
while you can ask about route of infection I suspect they will make up something articulate. Or simple say with all their wonderful measures they are Baffled.
I would spend the time making sure they are able to cover the staff shortages that will now occur!
i have looked after a lot of old people with Covid and every single one recovered. Please try not to worry yourself too much.

Sophie20

Jul 5, 2020
Wow, every excuse to ramble, you have really been though the mill!
while you can ask about route of infection I suspect they will make up something articulate. Or simple say with all their wonderful measures they are Baffled.
I would spend the time making sure they are able to cover the staff shortages that will now occur!
i have looked after a lot of old people with Covid and every single one recovered. Please try not to worry yourself too much.
Thank you so much for your reply, it is soooo good to hear of elderly people surviving! I think we have been living in so much fear for our older relatives that our first reaction to the news has been to panic.
I’ve been questioning (to myself) the amount of different agency staff that have been answering the phones in the past week - now I know why!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry to read this @Sophie20. It`s the worst situatu=ion anyone can be in.

As had been said before, it does not becessarily mean end of life for your mother, just a big worry for you.

There seem to be varying degrees of symptoms and outcomes and many people have fecovered well. I have an 80 year old friend who is infected. She is able to stay at home to isolate and all she is now complaining of is extreme wearyness.

I do hope your mum will come through this.

Sophie20

Jul 5, 2020
Thank you for replying @Grannie G it helps quell the nerves to hear positive stories! Mum still not showing any signs of being poorly ?? I hope your friend continues to recover.