mum passed away, free at last of the torment of this illness

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
When someone has been ill - and dementia is an illness - for a period of time and you have watched that person you love deteriorate in health knowing they will not recover - it is natural to feel relief that they are now beyond pain - mental and physical. Give yourself time - Mother's are such special people - you will probably find that your feelings fluctuate for a time as you come to terms with your loss.

Thinking of you and your family with loving thoughts at this sad time WIFE

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

There is no right or wrong way to feel. Relief is quite normal, relief that your mum is no longer suffering, and relief that your own battle with dementia is over too.

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
Oh, thank you all for your kind comments and support.
I know a lot of the names that commented, Lindy we have been on this journey together and Mrs TerryN to name a few.

I thought I'd be OK as in a way I said goodbye to my 'real' Mum a long while ago and this last year has been so very hard like a roller coaster of events but still I feel overwhelmed by her loss I suppose because it's final.

Thanks again

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
So sorry for your loss, part of the relief is that your mum is not struggling along the course of this awful disease any longer - I think that's compassionate and so you shouldn't feel guilt. Xxx im glad you were able to be with her.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm so sorry, Gillybean. At this time our emotions are an incredibly tangled mess. There is no right or wrong way to feel. But your mother is now free of this horrible disease.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
I'm so sorry to read that your Mum has gone. There will be a whole host of emotions swirling around and they will come and go.............. Take care, thinking of you x

cheryl k

Sep 9, 2012
Mum passed away

My thoughts andd prayers are with you during this time.

I agree it is an emotional time dealing with the second loss of your loved one to this awful disease. When my Dad died in December, I felt the very same emotions. It is a relief to know your loved one is whole again in heaven, but bittersweet for you.

This takes time and just let your emotions guide you. It is a very important part of the healing process.

Take care

Cheryl

Kate and jack

Jan 19, 2014
Southend on sea in essex
Gilly bean

Hope your ok and find the strength to get back to a some what normal life ,thinking about having some you time...we are taken up constantly by the illness we forget about our selfs
God bless your lovely mum and love and hugs to you

sarafina

Sep 28, 2009
Your Mum

Sad how I've moved from one section to another in each forum and finally I'm here with much sadness and relief if I'm being honest.
Another chapter, still feeling shocked even though it was expected... She passed away tonight...

I was with her and it was a peaceful experience.. And I'm glad I was there for her....

It's 2 months since my Mum passed away, I nursed her at home and the grief is so raw, she had to go and your Mum is with my Mum now. Two Stars shining down upon us both.