Mum not likeing her nursing home

sydavis01

Jan 6, 2015
Hi all, My mum has recently had to go into a nursing home as her dementia had got worse, She has been in her new home since may of last year, Since going in there she hasn't really seemed to of mixed very well with the other resident's in there and stays in her room a lot of the time or wonders the gardens of the home but rarely sits in the lounge for any length of time,
Whenever I visit her (twice a week) she keeps saying she doesn't like the place, hasn't made any friends, thinks people don't like her and keeps asking to go home saying there is nothing wrong with her and says she shouldn't be there, My question here is do I maybe consider transferring mum into another nursing home or is this part of her illness??? Thanks in advance sy :) :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

Generally I would say, yes, it is part of her illness and she would be exactly the same in another home. But I'll also say this: I assume you are happy with the home? No red flags at all? Do you visit at non-standard times (so you can get a handle on what is going on)? It really doesn't sound as if there is a problem with the home, but I sometimes think we assume unhappiness in care is part and parcel of dementia (and in truth, it generally is) but on occasion it may not be. Mind you the complaints she has

saying she doesn't like the place, hasn't made any friends, thinks people don't like her and keeps asking to go home saying there is nothing wrong with her and says she shouldn't be there,

don't sound like real issues with regard to care.