Mum not drinking

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Can any kind souls out there advise on how to get Mum drinking more.She drinks just three mugs of tea a day and we cannot tempt her to drink more. She gets moody and sometimes will not drink all day.I even leave her cranberry juice on her bedside table but it is touch and go if she drinks this.
Many thanks Haygreen

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
What about ice cream?It is fluid.Dad is the same but if I have a drink so will he.Does she have any favourites??Hot chocolate?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Picking up on TNJJ's idea, would your mum accept fruit, whether the tinned varieties in fruit juice or a watermelon slice. When my partner has been in hospital I usually bought little tubs of fruit pieces to keep her hydrated and lift her spirits.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I found that mum would eat and drink if I were joining her. If I made a mug of tea and sat it in front of her, she didnt drink it, but if I made a pot of tea and set out cups and saucers for both of us, poured the tea and sat down with her to drink it I found that she would match me cup for cup.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Will she eat Jelly made either with water or evaporated milk? Does she have a sweet tooth like others have suggested fruit, trifles or biscuits to dunk in her tea - these all worked at various stages for Mum and like canary suggested have a cuppa with her.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Does your mum have breakfast in the morning as I give my mum porridge with a mashed banana every morning and that's with 200ml of full fat milk,every little bit of liquid helps,she doesn't drink much though,I do my best to get her to drink more
She also likes Angel delight which can provide another good amount of milk 300ml and she will have that in a couple of servings.
The full fat milk helps prevent pressure sores too

Last edited:

Jenni_B

Aug 24, 2019
France
She may indeed be getting more fluid than seems obvious, depending on what she is eating. Soup can be another good way of increasing fluids, or very sloppy casseroles. And now the weather's cooling down ... Every little helps.

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
What about ice cream?It is fluid.Dad is the same but if I have a drink so will he.Does she have any favourites??Hot chocolate?
Tnjj thank you for your kind suggestions to my problem...Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Picking up on TNJJ's idea, would your mum accept fruit, whether the tinned varieties in fruit juice or a watermelon slice. When my partner has been in hospital I usually bought little tubs of fruit pieces to keep her hydrated and lift her spirits.
Nae sporran main thanks for your useful suggestion to my problem.Will try water melon...Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
I found that mum would eat and drink if I were joining her. If I made a mug of tea and sat it in front of her, she didnt drink it, but if I made a pot of tea and set out cups and saucers for both of us, poured the tea and sat down with her to drink it I found that she would match me cup for cup.

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Canary many thanks for your suggestion to my mum not drinking.I will try your idea.

Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Jal
Will she eat Jelly made either with water or evaporated milk? Does she have a sweet tooth like others have suggested fruit, trifles or biscuits to dunk in her tea - these all worked at various stages for Mum and like canary suggested have a cuppa with her.
e

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Jale thank you for your kind suggestions.Good to know there are kind souls out there who can help.

Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Does your mum have breakfast in the morning as I give my mum porridge with a mashed banana every morning and that's with 200ml of full fat milk,every little bit of liquid helps,she doesn't drink much though,I do my best to get her to drink more
She also likes Angel delight which can provide another good amount of milk 300ml and she will have that in a couple of servings.
The full fat milk helps prevent pressure sores too

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Witts 1973 thank you so much for your informative reply. Much appreciated..

Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Depending on how much of the tea she drinks that is 300mL per mug or 900mL per day, that isn't so bad. Are her lips cracked or dry, if you gently pinch the skin on the back of her hand does it stay where you left it, is she not weeing, these are signs of de-hydration. If there are no signs of de-hydration then I wouldn't worry so much. Obviously if she were going to gym and sweating a lot it would be another question. If there are signs of d-hydration then contact your Doctor, she may need a drip to restore her fluid levels. For Mum one day at the Ambulatory Care unit with a canular in her arm was enough to get her drinking, she didn't want to go there again.

For Mum we gave her a change with Cranberry and Raspberry which was well received, now we alternate, Cranberry only and Cranberry and Raspberry. Because of false teeth issues a large full fat milk shake is her breakfast.

If you can keep a record of fluids in and fluids out, you then have evidence if you need medical advice.

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
Bryan G 2001 thank you for your informative and kind reply to my enquiry. Enjoy your weekend.

Haygreen

haygreen

Sep 13, 2017
She may indeed be getting more fluid than seems obvious, depending on what she is eating. Soup can be another good way of increasing fluids, or very sloppy casseroles. And now the weather's cooling down ... Every little helps.