Mum needs a cleaner / home help

Brasso

Nov 1, 2005
Bristol
Mum needs some support in order to get some daily stuff done. Aside from the local small ads, who else provides such (chargeable I guess) services for the elderly especially those with AD ? I think that the Home Helps of old have long since gone.
I'm not sure where to start looking.
Tnx
Dave

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Home Help

I think the Social Services have a list of vetted people to help in the home and they are paid centrally so that the elderly person doesn't have to deal with paying them. An invoice is sent out once a month which can be paid by cheque rather than cash. The home helps are not allowed to handle any money at all from their clients. Otherwise just ask around to see if anyone you know has a good cleaner. These are like gold dust! There are also private agencies which would probably check employee's references.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My mother got home helps from Age Concern before we needed to involve Social Services.

Unfortunately the home helps never lasted very long, and at the time we blamed them (not having met them).

Lila

suem

Jul 1, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi
Don't know what your Mum's circumstances are but if she was eligible for direct payments from social services you could use this to get a home help. You can employ your own or get one through the care agencies(more expensive though) or if you get sitter vouchers, issued free from the carers unit at your local council you can use these for light duties which won't cost you anything and pay someone for the heavier stuff. Talk to social worker or your local carers group.
Sue