mum losing weight

sag

Nov 26, 2007
hi, about 12 months ago mum started losing her memory, she also lost about 2 stones in weight over a three month period. has anybody else had anything similiar? have been trying to find if there is a link between the two issues but havnt come up with anything and doc not helpful

germain

Jul 7, 2007
Hello Sag

Our Mum lost around a stone over 3 years with AD but has lost another stone in the last 5 weeks - she looks like a skeleton !

Doc has looked at everything he can think of and is now wondering whether the Reminyl dosage is too high - he says that one of the side effects can be anorexia.

However, we think the first stone went as Mum forgot to eat unless someone was with her and the most recent loss is probably because she's asleep most of the time and has to be fed if she can be woken - also of course dehydration doesn't help.

I'm not sure if weight loss is the actual AD or a natural consequence of the behavioural effects of AD. Do you have a consultant or CPN ? - they can usually advise.

regards
Germain

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello sag, and welcome to TP.

Weight loss - yes it does happen to a lot of people. Sometimes towards the end of the illness when they can forget how to swallow.

Sometimes because they are quite simply not eating enough, or forgetting to eat.

Sometimes............well who knows. We have a friend whose weight plummeted at the begining of his illness, never regained any weight, but still managed to do all the things he had done previously. Lionels weight is dropping all the time now, although his intake of quality food is very good.

Of course, the opposite can. and does happen. Unexplained weight gains. I am sure someone will join the thread with something more positive.

Keep asking question.......it's the only way.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello sag,

Often the doctors are not helpful because they don`t know. But instead of being straight and admitting it, they hum and haw and leave you guessing.

When your mother lost her weight, did she reduce her intake of food, or was she worried about herself? Sometimes worry makes people lost weight very quickly.

Has she continued to lose weight or has her weight stabilised? If she continues to lose weight, I`d suggest she goes back to her GP.

I hope you get to the bottom of it as rapid weight loss is very worrying.

Take care xx

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hello sag,

This relationship has been noticed by researchers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5179230.stm

While the observations have been made, it sounds like they are still investigating the root cause.

Of course sudden weight loss should always be reported to the GP.

Take care,

Sandy

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Hi sag

My mum was like a skeloton towards the end but months befor she was loseing weight. She ate 3 good meals a day as well. What can happen is the body does not absorbe nutrients anymore so vitimins and minerals, protiens and all that do not function in the bodys system anymore when we first brought our mum in to hospital the doctors thought we had starved her until they realized she could no longer eat

take care kathyx

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
About eighteen months ago my mother lost a huge amount of weight. Initially this looke3d like a good thing as she had been obese, but as the weight continued to drop off for no apparant reason I got worried.
Her GP couldnt offer any real explanation (not helped by the fact mum refused to go to hosp for tests!)
Then a year ago when she was in hospital and I was clearing her bunglaow to be sold, her neighbours told me she had been deliberatly starving herself to six stone as she had decided that was the weight she needed to be...I suppose really she had got anorexic.
Now she is in a nursing home she is still thin but not losing weight any more as her food intake is monitored. She doesnt seem to have much of an appetite but she can be given nourishment drinks and so on.
this probably isnt the case with your mum at all but i thought id mention it!