Mum keeps passing out?

babyface

Apr 30, 2007
Nottingham
Hi everyone,
My mum has alzheimers disease & is currently in a hospital assesment unit where she has been for 8 months.She is in the moderate to severe stages.Recentely mum has started to have these episodes where she passes out & vomits.Its happened 3 times in the last month.Last night it happened again & she was taken into hospital.The doctors gave her a full check up,but couldnt find anything?
I was just wondering if anyone had come accross this before.The people at the assesment unit seem to think it could be epilepsy?
Thanks Babyface.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Babyface:

It is a worry for you and maybe the assessment unit are right. BUT there are many many reasons for 'passing out'. I would suggest you try to speak to a consultant or your Mum's GP. Things are going through my mind but only someone who knows your Mums medical condition can truly help you.

My husband used to pass out - way before Alz. set in- that was due to a electrical fault with his heart - in the end not terrribly serious as a pacemaker did the trick! Other things could be TIAs (mini strokes which sometimes goes along with Vasc.Dementia in which case a consultant would call it Mixed Dementia! Low blood pressure can be another cause - maybe also related to medication!!!!

I am sure there are hundreds of other possibilities - so try not to worry too much.

Best wishes Jan

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
I have had similar problems with my Dad, his started in july where he just seemed to pass out in a sitting position, lips turning blue and not responding to anything!! He soon came round when given oxygen by ambulance crew.

The second occassion, similar circumstances, except this time it was as if he went into a very deep sleep, had the blue lips the same, took a lot longer to come round, unconscious for at least 8-10 mins. At the time the hospital were going to do a scan, send him for an angiogram etc. his confusion, as far as I was concerned detrioted from that particular "incident". No scan was done or angiogram!!! I think he was too much to handle behaviour wise!!!

His last "passing out" was last Thursday, he is in an assessment hospital at the moment, they had Dad taken to A&E, this time I have asked for answers, I'm afraid it has fallen on deaf ears!!
You cannot get to see a doctor properly in hospital unless you want to make an appointment!!!

Thankfully, his assessment hospital are going to organise a scan, doctors at the hospital have just put it down to a seizure!!!

I am pleased that someone else experienced this "passing out" as I was beginning to think that nobody believed me!!

I'm afraid this isn't much help to you, at least you know that someone else has seen this "passing out".

I am pleased that Dad is having a scan, this will be his first since he was diagnosed in April!!!

babyface

Apr 30, 2007
Nottingham
Dear Susi,
The last time this happened mum was given a brain scan but they didnt find anything,theyve also checked her heart which seemed fine?Mum was in the general hospital for 5 hours last night having various tests,but still no answers?Its so worying.I hope you will find out more about your dad,i know what your going through.
Babyface.x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Susi and Babyface

I can understand how worrying this must be for you, especially as no-one is giving you any answers.

As Jan says, there are lots of reasons why people faint, and only a doctor can find the cause, so you need to keep asking questions.

In addition to the other suggestions, it could be a problem with the inner ear. It was you mention of vomiting that made me think of this, babyface. I suffer from labyrinthitis, and when I have an attack the room spins, I faint, and then vomit. It might be that if the brain is not processing information from the ear properly it could cause dizziness, but I've no evidence for this. Just another possibility you could ask about.

I hope you both get some answers soon,

Love,

Susi T

Jan 12, 2007
Leamington Spa
Thanks Babyface and Skye, I know one thing for sure, each time Dad has one of these "turns" his condition gets worse!
He has been through the mill since his admission into hospital August Bank holiday weekend, after 2 and half weeks in hospital where he was assessed, he got moved for a transistion period to a home, after 5 weeks they couldn't cope with his "wandering" (police involved on 2 occassions), he is now in an assessment hospital, review has been set for 21st November. Each time I visit he has got worse, and we all know what effect it has on us as carers!!
I have a meeting with his Social worker tomorrow to ask why he wasn't taken to the assessment hospital straight away instead on wasting time moving to a home, where, clearly after the third week they were unable to cope with his "wandering"??!!
His behaviour is changing every time I see him, and I know it is the illness, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch this happen to someone you love.
Hopefully, after his review things may settle down, however, it will be another place for him to get used to!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Some of the first symptoms my Jan had was consistent fainting, first thing in the day, then later in the day, and worst of all, in her sleep.

She never felt nauseous, but felt a 'rising sensation' in her chest.

Doctors reckon it was fits, but the presentation was exactly like a faint.

Jan had been a fainter in her early teens.

We tried an ambulatory heart monitor to try and understand what was going on, but even though she actually had a major faint when they installed it - they thought she was in cardiac arrest - the monitor showed zilch.

These days she does have fits.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75