Mum keeps falling asleep with hot drinks in her hand, but she refuses to drink from a beaker.

BlueBelle74

Jul 16, 2020
So my mum is in middle stage dementia and she moved in with me a year ago. Ever since she moved in with me I've noticed she falls asleep a lot. It comes on quite suddenly to. Like one minute you're talking to her, I'll pop to the loo, come back and she'll be out like a light. Worse thing is she even falls asleep with hot drinks in her hand. Which she inevitably spills on herself. Only yesterday I found her slumped in the chair with a cup of tea spilled all over her lap. It happens at least twice a week. I want to get her one of them no spill beaker mugs but she absolutely detests the idea. She only likes her tea/coffee in a bone china mug. I started letting the tea cool for 10-15 minutes before giving it to her, but then she just complains it's too cold. She tells me not to worry as she has "cast iron skin" and doesn't burn. But it still worries me. Really not sure what to do as it's like talking to a brick wall with her.

Does anyone else care for someone who does this? Any suggestions on how I can address this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Not exactly the same but OH has epilepsy and has dropped hot drinks in his lap. I now give him his drinks on a tray with quite deep sides that is watertight. I put the drink on the tray on his lap and if he drops it most of the drink stays in the tray

BlueBelle74

Jul 16, 2020
Not exactly the same but OH has epilepsy and has dropped hot drinks in his lap. I now give him his drinks on a tray with quite deep sides that is watertight. I put the drink on the tray on his lap and if he drops it most of the drink stays in the tray
That's not a bad idea actually. Not thought of that before. I'll suggest it to her and see what she says. Can't make any promises she'll like it though, it's very 50/50 with my mum. Thank You though :)

Tackle landing

Jul 11, 2021
So my mum is in middle stage dementia and she moved in with me a year ago. Ever since she moved in with me I've noticed she falls asleep a lot. It comes on quite suddenly to. Like one minute you're talking to her, I'll pop to the loo, come back and she'll be out like a light. Worse thing is she even falls asleep with hot drinks in her hand. Which she inevitably spills on herself. Only yesterday I found her slumped in the chair with a cup of tea spilled all over her lap. It happens at least twice a week. I want to get her one of them no spill beaker mugs but she absolutely detests the idea. She only likes her tea/coffee in a bone china mug. I started letting the tea cool for 10-15 minutes before giving it to her, but then she just complains it's too cold. She tells me not to worry as she has "cast iron skin" and doesn't burn. But it still worries me. Really not sure what to do as it's like talking to a brick wall with her.

Does anyone else care for someone who does this? Any suggestions on how I can address this would be appreciated.
My mum is starting to do the same thing now, especially in the mornings, she uses a

My mum is starting to do that now, especially in the morning, she uses a yellow, dignity cup, spilt some the other day, but luckily it was cold, and other time, on the carpet, I can be in the kitchen when it happens, she can sleep in a min,and also talks in her sleep, I ordering another dignity cup with a lid to see if that helps, I don't know what to do either